Just another sad argument for gun control

Guest lazyphil

What kind of country is the US, where a guy walks around unloading bullets into nearly 50 innocent people, killing 32?

america is a friendly civilised country where sometimes bad things happen. much less violent than los or pakistand for example. wheres flyonzewall when u need him, in los school kids invent weapons, zip guns,take swords to school to settle things, grenades etc, have you noticed it takes 7 people to die in a snow storm on the east coast of the usa to make the news outside the us, or an event like this is all over the news.....fly bought to our attention the mindless daily violence around los that never made it in the bkk post nevermind bbc/cnn.....american phenomoem my ass!

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Most Swiss are armed or its at least mandated I believe by the government since they have a citizen army. So, I'm assuming they have a high gun per capita rate. What is the crime rate in Switzerland anyhow?

NYC and DC have strict gun laws but high crime rates. There are counties in Texas with concealed weapon laws and from what I understand (I'm assuming) have low gun crime rates. There are counties where I Alabama where I went to school where just about every house has a gun and I've seen more than my share of shot gun racks in the back of trucks (with the requisite confederate flag..lol) as well but low crime in that area.

I know of a few english folks who talk about the rising crime rates in parts of london and other locales but there is ban on guns. Banning guns won't make you safe.

Also, in the U.S. banning guns is akin to banning alcohol. It simply won't work. Culturally its part of us, all you'll do is give organized crime a new revenue stream.

Lets say we ban guns, how do you stop them from coming in the country?

The crime rate here is not high but getting up every year. Our parliament has the discussions to

ban the army guns from home. We had some homicide in families in the past three years.

But ban the gun or not, we have so much aggressive Immigrants from the Balkan here, that we don't have anaway a peaceful living here anymore.

Hi Phil,

I believe that mass killings in schools and on college campuses are an American phenomenon. I challenge you to identify another country where such incidents can be described as occuring regularly.

Also, while Pakistan is a violent society, having glanced at the figures for deaths caused by firearms in the US posted by someone else, over 5,000 I believe, you might be surprised to discover that Pakistan, with the trouble in Kashmir, the war in Waziristan, the war in Balochistan, sectarian strife between Shias and Sunis and the easy availability of everything from hand guns to rocket propelled grenades, land mines and tanks, doesn't come close to this figure.

Weird.

I'm not down on the US here, but there does seem to be a problem with gun related violence.

"...But seriously, have you ever witnessed someone killed with a gun? How about just shot? Have you ever been shot at in anger?..."

Yes, and in some cases, I returned fire. A sickening feeling to hit some one, but under the circumstances, necessary.

"...People I know who have been under fire in both war time and peace say rational thought becomes somewhat elusive..."

Not quite true, depending on what kind of training you have had.I have been in fire fights before while in the army, and you do stay focused. Later on, when it all calms down is when you start to lose it, and relive it in slow motion.

Many people have successfully used guns to defend themselves and others. I seem to recall a situation where in a teacher retrieved a gun from his car, and took down a student who was on a rampage. Additionally, many store owners have shot robbers. All depends on the mind set and instinct.

Suadam,

You mentioned that many guns are obtained during break ins...Many are obtained through straw buyers. Many of the really high powered weapons are brought in with drug shipments. One noted case a drug dealer shot an FBI agent with an Uzi the U.S. government had sold to a police force in Columbia...now how did he get it? And who was responsible? and why isn't that person in jail?

Last I checked, you cannot buy full automatic weapons hand grenades L.A.W.s rockets etc in a gun shop, or steal them from a home. Yet many gangs and separtist groups have been caught with them.

You cannot ban these...well, o.k. you can, but do you really think a guy who is a career criminal will turn his in? and the rest of us who might be dumb enough, or fearful enough to do so then become sitting ducks for them.

Yes, I do think someone with a gun could have stopped this guy early on. It has happened before.

A few years ago it was in the papers about an idiot who walked into a bar full of good old boys, pulled a gun and announced he was taking over. I've forgotten how many bullet holes the cops found in him when the owner called him to come get the body.

The idiotic assinine logic that banning firearms is going to disarm criminals makes me suspect that a lot of people really need to be locked up in the loony bin. People who are already violent law breakers are going to obey this one???

:banghead:

As CS said, ENFORCE THE DAMN LAWS we already have. But going after gang bangers and the like always seems to get branded as racism or whatever. So send black cops to sort them out! I'm sure there are plenty who would love to.

<< Not quite true, depending on what kind of training you have had. I have been in fire fights before while in the army, and you do stay focused. Later on, when it all calms down is when you start to lose it, and relive it in slow motion. >>

I cannot remember being frightened a single time under fire in VN. You have too many other things to worry about. In fact, the only time I started getting a bit afraid was when the NVA broke their routine. We were more or less encircled and had been getting stand off fire for about a month straight - 122 mm rockets, mortars and recoiless rifles. We always got hit hard just before lunch time - say 11 am. But one day the time passed and nothing happened. Complete silence! I recall feeling quite concerned, wondering what they were up to. Then after about 15 minutes, all hell broke loose. I relaxed and felt fine after that.

:dunno:

Archived