Just another sad argument for gun control

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every society weighs a right to have firearms and its sense of security. England, Oz and europe made their choice. America made there's. 200 million guns and 5,000 deaths attribued to guns if that is correct. 5k dead is NEVER good but its a number American society can apparantly live with. It may change in the future, who knows. But right now Americans want the right.

On a practical note, if someone robs you at gun point, they're probably gonna take your watch and wallet, maybe your car (if you have any sense you'll have your car insured). You'll probably walk away shaken and a few dollars less well off.

If you pull out a gun, theres a very good chance you'll get killed.

My GF's brother in law is now a gun nut in Thailand, never stops talking about his Glock. He wants my GF's sister to carry a gun cos she moves lots of cash around (a couple of million baht at a time). She's likely to get herself killed if she pulls out a gun.

The perp could NOT have purchased his weapons legally, since he was not a US citizen. I'm waiting to find out HOW he got hold of two 9 mm pistols. Probably the same way the gangs get theirs - from illegal underground dealers.

Sorry Flash, he was a green card holder and had no criminal record, so he could have easily bought any weapon he wanted. This makes the point moot on how the actual guns used were obtained.

Regards,

SD

"On a practical note, if someone robs you at gun point, they're probably gonna take your watch and wallet, maybe your car (if you have any sense you'll have your car insured). You'll probably walk away shaken and a few dollars less well off.

If you pull out a gun, theres a very good chance you'll get killed."

Not necessary. When 4 men tried robbing me, it appears they had already robbed another man. That man turned over everything he had, but it appears they wanted more. He ended up laying in a heap on the ground as a result of a machete blade chop to the top of his head. He arrived at the hospital unconscious. Some thought he was dead.

Now if I had a gun, I probably could not use it. Everything happened too fast. But if I did have time to pull it out, there would be a few less robbers running around.

"5k dead is NEVER good but its a number American society can apparantly live with."

If you look at that 5000 figure, you might wonder how they came up with that figure. It includes such things as suicides, etc.

I look at it that the main issue is being ble to protect yourself. In this case, the Campus police provided the protection, but while the shooting was going on, they did nothing because they did not have guns. None of the victims could do nothing because they did not have weapons. They died like sheep going to the slaughter. Sad day.

Where I live in the USA, the robbers never rob gun stores, but they do rob, on a regular basis, stores who have policies "No Weapons and no intervention". I wonder why?

The 5000 figure is just the children killed in a year, the total figure including all age groups is around 35,000 per annum. Another sobering figure is 8 children die, every day, day after day as a result of gunfire (murdered, suicide, or accident) and untill the guns are removed from the population it will only get worse. Thankfully, I live on the other side of the pond and you haven't got a gun to fire that far yet.

"In the U.S. for 2001, there were 29,573 deaths from firearms, distributed as follows by mode of death: Suicide 16,869; Homicide 11,348; Accident 802; Legal Intervention 323; Undetermined 231.(CDC, 2004) This makes firearms injuries one of the top ten causes of death in the U.S. The number of firearms-related injuries in the U.S., both fatal and non-fatal, increased through 1993, but has since declined steadily.(CDC, 2001) However, firearms injuries remain a leading cause of death in the U.S., particularly among youth (CDC, 2004)."

http://library.med.utah.edu/WebPath/TUTORIAL/GUNS/GUNSTAT.html

anyone find newer stats ?

Whatever the real numbers are its still not at the point where Americans as whole want them totally banned. Likely the rules tightened. There may come a day when the numbers are not acceptable, till then its accepted as a cost of keeping that right.

will it take a 100 deaths at a time ,

will they need to be white school kids on a trip to the zoo ?

Probably 100 is not enough , 200 maybe :(

Other than here , I really do not give it much thought, I know NOTHING is really going to happen soon, so why worry about it .....

It will take a HUGE political change , but the NRA is so organixed that any senator / congressman would be crazy to go up against them if they wanted to stay in power.

Sad but true

OC

Archived