Just another sad argument for gun control

Individuals sure do need guns to defend themselves against random robbers and law enforcement officials, this more organised kind of criminal scum... Texas did get something right when it came to individual rights... kill the democracy advocates... seems like a sensible hygienic move...

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The bottom line with the NRA is that they don't blame guns. They blame people. That's their line and they're sticking to it. Some people feel safer owning guns...that's their business.

I see these rage shootings as a different kind of problem altogether. Angry loners with no social skills who get hold of guns. Short of more security in schools and public places I don't see how you stop it.

I think there are more important issues at hand than the legality of buying weapons. A kid went crazy and decided to use guns. Most people have no reason to have them. I don't think this episode adds anything to the existing debate for or against gun controls. We just have to amend our political system so that people can just vote once and for all whether to have guns or not... you know, like a democracy?

As someone once noted, the best way of keeping a population docile is to encourage vigorous debate within an extremely narrow band of topics to keep people from realizing that they are offered no real choices when it comes to real decisions.

"As someone once noted, the best way of keeping a population docile is to encourage vigorous debate within an extremely narrow band of topics to keep people from realizing that they are offered no real choices when it comes to real decisions. "

That's a smart observation... one reason I never even bothered to apply for a my voting rights ... so useless...

Here's some information on the Virginia Tech killer ...

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2007/0417071vtech1.html

Virginia Killer's Violent Writings

Play told of pedophilic stepfather, murder of 13-year-old boy

APRIL 17--The college student responsible for yesterday's Virginia Tech slaughter was referred last year to counseling after professors became concerned about the violent nature of his writings, as evidenced in a one-act play obtained by The Smoking Gun. The play by Cho Seung-Hui, a 23-year-old English major, was submitted last year as part of a short story writing class. Entitled "Richard McBeef," Cho's bizarre play features a 13-year-old boy who accuses his stepfather of pedophilia and murdering his father. A copy of the killer's play can be found below. The teenager talks of killing the older man and, at one point, the child's mother brandishes a chain saw at the stepfather. The play ends with the man striking the child with "a deadly blow."

Guest lazyphil

A GKB !! I wonder if some smug american girl in a paralell Internet forum/universe has wound her neck in after bragging how splendid her western educated/KKB is lol, LMFAO!!!

Whatever the real numbers are its still not at the point where Americans as whole want them totally banned. Likely the rules tightened. There may come a day when the numbers are not acceptable, till then its accepted as a cost of keeping that right.

Of course Steve, the rules as in place now were enforced to a T. The shooter bought the guns legally. Now what?

As someone on CNN said today, the majority of Americans consistently poll that they want tighter gun control. But this is not a major campaign issue except at times like this, so the pols don't bother. But it IS a major issue to the gun nut minority at all times, and they are vocal, so they get their way. And people keep dying -- the same thing over and over, just change the numbers and names. The media probably has a template for the stories.

Regards,

SD

The NRA fights tighter gun controls. The NRA needs to be reigned in my opinion. They won't concede any kind of regulation as they see it as a step toward total a ban. If the American people want a total ban so be it. Polls show that Americans want tighter controls not an outright ban. Certain assault weapons, etc. are reasonable restrictions in my opinion and most americans, even a lot of gun owners, who only want something to protect their property and family or be able to hunt game.

Although tragic, maybe Americans just accept this type of incident as the price they pay for having the right to carry a gun. Has anything really changed since Columbine? Maybe Chris Rock was right with his idea for the price of bullets.

I don't know the rules that govern psychiatry but some say that if they were to put people who were deemed mentally unstable to be put on the list of those who should not be issued gun permits. They site it as a violation of doctor/patient confidentiality. Anyone know if they must report them if they are deemed likely to cause public harm?

Its also a regional issue. Republicans do well in traditional democratic areas like western PA and Michigan if they use the 'they'll take your guns away' tactic because hunting is a huge part of the culture there.

Archived