Just another sad argument for gun control

It is the price. But the one thing that is also apparant is like a lot of things, until it happens in rich suburbs like Columbine, no one takes notice.

Guns have been a problem in inner city schools way before Columbine. The HS (and even the Junior high now) in my old neighborhood had metal detectors for a long time. Routine locker checks yielded all kinds of weaponry.

Gangs in LA had shootings on school campuses long before Columbine.

The 'bordega'(puerto rican corner grocers) owners in my old neighborhood all walked around with holstered guns in plain view. Served a purpose to tell anyone that thought about robbing them that, to think twice about it.

But as I said, some regions have guns everywhere, like in the rural deep south and its a peaceful society.

If you ever go hunting, there is a deep respect for another hunter when you come across them in the woods. You may be hunting in his area and you are both very respectful and you move on. Both of you have guns and everyone makes sure that tempers never get to the level that would make it escalate to firing on each other. You make small talk, talk about where the game is and ain't and its a healthy respect for another armed person.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The day after all the gangbangers' date=' muggers and home invaders, as well as the drug dealers, addicts and smugglers, give up their firearms, I'll give up mine.

Evel

:devil:[/quote']

Sure...if I lived in certain parts of the US I might feel the same way. But what does it have to do with random school shootings, angry postal workers etc.?

Basically, when a guy like this goes off, the only thing that will stop him is a bullet. If the cops aren't there, and a citizen with a gun is, well then figure it out. People should have a right to protect themselves, and NOT have to die because the police aren't there.

Criminals will always be able to get guns. You can have as much gun control as you want they will get them. Even though he got the gun legally he still would have been able to acquire it another way if needed.

A perfect example is Japan. They have some of the toughest gun control laws in the world and look what happened. The Mayor of Nagasaki was gunned down by a Yakuza boss because the city would not pay to repair his car which was damaged at a contruction site several years ago.

I have to say that what happened at Va Tech is tragic and my heart goes out to all of their families.

My first trip to the states was in '92 and first time in LA was '95. I think is was Washington High near West Beverly Hills I was taken to and yes even then they had metal detectors at the front doors. Maybe this is how it's going to be for a long time until a pollies kid is killed.

As for the hunting, wasn't it Dick Cheney who shot his mate on a hunting trip?

<< If you ever go hunting, there is a deep respect for another hunter when you come across them in the woods. You may be hunting in his area and you are both very respectful and you move on. Both of you have guns and everyone makes sure that tempers never get to the level that would make it escalate to firing on each other. You make small talk, talk about where the game is and ain't and its a healthy respect for another armed person. >>

CS, as usual you make good sense ... which means you probably have absolutely no future in politics in the US! :)

A VN vet buddy, retired Special Forces, said to me one day, "Did you noticed how respectful everyone was of each other in Vietnam? Do you suppose it's because we were armed to the teeth all the time?"

:dunno:

AP News:

"One law enforcement official said Cho's backpack contained a receipt for a March purchase of a Glock 9 mm pistol. Cho held a green card, meaning he was a legal, permanent resident. That meant he was eligible to buy a handgun unless he had been convicted of a felony.

"Roanoke Firearms owner John Markell said his shop sold the Glock and a box of practice ammo to Cho 36 days ago for $571.

"'He was a nice, clean-cut college kid. We won't sell a gun if we have any idea at all that a purchase is suspicious,' Markell said."

And yet his classmates all say he was a wierdo who gave them the creeps. Somebody didn't do some background checking on him!

'please tell me an easy way that a "bad" person can kill 30 people in a short time without a gun

bow and arrow ?'

i'm currently in the US and my 11 and 7 y.o. old cousins have been bought up to use weapons.

they shoot the guns they are allowed to shoot at that age and also use bows.........and are both good at their craft.

their Dad is ex military and well versed in gun safety and woe betide them if they have a lapse of concentration when handling any sort of weapon.

they both go to all the safety classes and i hope they grow up responsible.

but we will never know what might turn their heads at a later date and suddenly i'm seeing their names mentioned in a case like this.....

a bit off topic but one thing i don't agree with is the open sale of all manner of weapons to kids.

the 7 y.o. has a fixation with knives and about 2 Months ago he walked into a hardware store on his own and bought 6 inch Bowie knife.

he took out his wallet and paid cash and the person in the store let a 7 y.o. do this....... :cussing:

that is wrong imo............. :thumbdown:

I fear there will be tighter gun control. There might be an outright ban on weapons which means the USA may end up having more trouble when considering what President we have in office and what happen to Germany when they banned weapons.

The emphasis should be on how to spot and handle mental cases instead of gun control.

If the Campus police hd guns, the death toll may have been a lot lower. Nobody looks at this fact.

If the campus police had done something ... anything ... armed or not, this wouldn't have happened. They could have taken the guy down with tasers, mace, nightsticks, rocks!

Two people are found murdered in a dorm and the university acts as if nothing had happened? The uni pres said ... "We thought the killer must have fled." Gee, what great thinking.

:p

Archived