Just another sad argument for gun control

OC, good point.

The main justification I see for holding off on a weapons ban is the reason the right to bear arms is enshrined in the constitution in the first place, so the people can defend themselves for a tyrannical federal government and rise up against it.

This may actually be necessary with Bush.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK.....lets say you cannot find the nut cases ,

what about the drumk rednecks with guns ?

or the gangbangers with guns

or the survivalist with 10-20 guns

or the kid that finds it under Dads bed

someday someone will say enough , and then he will get shot :(

OC

Weapons owners should be held responsible for their misuse. If a father leaves his firearms laying about where junior can get hold of them and misuse them, then prosecute daddy too.

If I am not mistaken, the NRA has been arguing for years for a mandatory additional sentence of something like 5 years for criminals who use guns in their misdeeds. But liberal groups have opposed this as racist or something. :dunno:

I agree fully. Hold the user of the weapon responsible, not the weapon. 4 men tried robbing me with machetes. No one mentioned that machetes should be banned or controlled. Why not? Because this argument plays nicely in certain political circles.

One person mentioned what kill more people then a gun? A bomb. An airplane. Do you hear anybody wanting to ban airplanes even though the greatest attack on any nation was carried out by airplanes. The second terrorist attack on the USA was carried on in Oklahoma. Do you hear anybody wanting to ban fertilizer? No.

OK, enough hype about all this...why don't we ever discuss the people killed in Iraq the same way? I mean no offense to these kids or their families, but everyday more people die in Iraq, and we just pass over it with a light sigh, if that...I think part of that attitude plays a role in all of this...

Quick Reply

What amazes me about these discussions are the pros and cons and that there is obviously such a fascination about weapons! That really seems to be a matter of where you come from. You own a gun in Germany you are considered a jerk or a psychopath! Since guns are illegal here you gotta go through a whole lot of trouble and activate dark channels to get one! If I wanna shoot a fella in Germany I gotta get involved with armed criminals. First of all I wouldn't know where to find them and 2nd of all I would be scared to death to deal with them.

If people are supposed to protect themselves, then give them fucking tranquilizer dart guns!!! That works to pass out an elephant and is more than enough to put a villain to sleep and have him picked up by the police! Why does justice in America always has to result in death??? The same people who would run a bullet through someones brain without hesitation are those who are going to church on Sunday morning and having the holy bible on their night stand.

If the only legal weapon would be a tranquilizer gun then at least no father of a family has to kill another person when he gets assaulted. Villains would have way more trouble to get into possession of a gun and the number of people killed by gunshots would drastically decrease. But here is the problem... it is a 1 billion dollar industry and money is more important than life!

I'm willing to bet that tranquilizer guns are illegal in the US!

Meanwhile ...

THE NATION

18 April 2007

International death toll in Virginia Tech massacre

BLACKSBURG, Virginia - An Israeli survivor of the Holocaust who was shot dead as he tried to protect his students.

An Indian professor of civil and environmental engineering who had devoted his life to the teaching community.

A Lebanese student who loved dancing and wanted to help make the world a better place by studying international relations.

A Canadian teacher of French who had moved to the United States with her husband, a fellow academic.

A Peruvian student who decided to switch colleges from Florida to Virginia Tech because it was more prestigious.

Cho Seung-Hui's murderous killing spree left an international roll call of the dead, reflecting the apparently indiscriminate nature of his chillingly methodical slaughter.

Although Virginia authorities were yet to publicly identify every one of the 32 victims, details about the fatalities gradually emerged on Tuesday, from Beirut to New Delhi, from Tel Aviv to Ottawa.

Among the dead was Liviu Librescu, a 76-year-old Israeli professor of engineering and mathematics, who had survived the horrors of the Holocaust as a teenager in Romania.

Reports said Librescu died trying to block Cho's entry to his classroom, buying his students precious time as they scrambled to force open windows and jump to safety from two storeys up.

Rabbi Marvin Hier, of the Simon Wiesenthal Center and Museum of Tolerance in Los Angeles, described Librescu's death as "unbelievably" ironic, coming as the world marked Holocaust Memorial Day.

"Here's a Holocaust survivor who lived through the period when so many stood by silently and did nothing," Hier said.

"When evil stopped at his door and he saw this murderer was going after his students, he decided that he would not be a bystander. It's quite remarkable."

While student witnesses testified to the circumstances surrounding Librescu's death, the relatives of other victims were looking for answers.

Joseph Samaha, whose daughter Reema was one of two Lebanese students to die on Monday, said he still had not been allowed to formally identify her body.

He had feared the worst after frantic telephone calls to his daughter's cellphone on Monday morning were not returned, and he later discovered she was taking a French lesson in the Norris building when Cho struck.

Samaha's last contact with Reema was on Sunday, when he visited the university with his wife to watch his daughter perform in a dance event.

"She was a young lady that was growing in every way," Samaha told CNN. "She found her niche here at the university. She loved what she was doing."

Samaha said his daughter wanted to be an urban planning major with a minor in international relations "because she thought she could solve the problems of the world."

The mother of 21-year-old Peruvian student Daniel Perez Cueva was still struggling to accept her son's death.

"I still cannot make sense of it," Betty Cueva told Peruvian radio in Lima. "I want to believe that my son is at the university and will come home."

In India, the family of G.V. Loganathan, a 51-year-old professor of civil engineering, spoke of their grief after the academic was named among the dead.

"He devoted his life to the teaching community. It's very sad that he has to lose this life," Loganathan's brother G.V. Palanivel told the private NDTV network from the southern state of Tamil Nadu.

In Ottawa, Prime Minister Stephen Harper addressed parliament as Canadian teacher Jocelyne Couture-Nowak was confirmed among the dead.

Couture-Nowak had moved to Virginia Tech with her husband, a horticulture professor.

No surprise ...

Killer's parents hospitalised 'with shock'

18 April 2007

By MSN News

The parents of mass killer Cho Seung-hi were hospitalised with shock and had not attempted suicide, contrary to reports in Korean media.

Korea's Yonhap news agency reported that Cho's parents, who ran a dry cleaning shop in Centreville, Virginia, had been hospitalised after learning of ther son's killing rampage at Virginia Tech University.

Rumours earlier spread through Korean media sources that Cho's parents had attempted suicide.

The Korea Herald, quoting Radio Korea in Los Angeles, reported that Cho's father tried to slash his wrists. His mother had reportedly swallowed a toxic drug.

Cho was a permanent resident of the US, who came there to live there with his parents in 1992.

His sister is a graduate of Princeton University, according to the Korea Times.

Come on OH. We all know that in terms of media coverage, the death of 1 American = 5 Europeans = 30 Middle Easterners/Asians/South Americans = 500 Africans. GET WITH THE PROGRAMME!

This means that the Virgina campus death toll is equivalent to at least 15,000 people killed in one incident in the Congo. (Although depending on how the Anna Nicole Smith case is going, the Congo thingy may not make the headlines at all).

Archived