Just another sad argument for gun control

I had cousins in London then. I regret I never met the ones who were old enough to tell me about their experiences in the Blitz.

"During the previous two months, the Luftwaffe had targeted RAF airfields and radar stations for destruction in preparation for the German invasion of the island."

Len Deighton, in his history of the Battle of Britain, argues that Churchill deliberately provoked Hitler into attacking London. The RAF was in serious danger of being effectively eliminated, so Churchy ordered an air raid on Berlin. The furious fruitcake from Austria immediately ordered the Luftwaffe to strike London in retaliation. This allowed the RAF to survive and continue the air battle.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually, the recommended weapon for home defence is an old fashioned double barrel shotgun

Very true. If there are two sounds readily recognizable world-wide, they are the cry of a baby and the ratcheting sound of a shotgun shell being chambered. :grin:

HH

Interesting thing is there are expat Brits at my local pub where I watch football games and more than a few of them are proud gun owners and never thought they would be.

Quite a normal reaction really, I'm firmly in the anti gun camp, but, if the gun possesion laws were changed in the UK, so as to enable wide spread gun ownership, I would feel the need to have one myself for my own protection. Would that make me safer than I am now? No it wouldn't! I would feel safer than if I was unarmed, but in reality, I would be more at risk than I was before all the nutters aquired them. A country awash with weapons is inherently more dangerous than one devoid of them, statistically this is proven beyond a doubt.

I don't remember the Blitz really. Too young. But I recall going out in the fields later with other kids...we were looking for airplane parts. There were lots of wrecked planes around.

There was a lot of babies born around that time. I don't suppose it had anything to do with American soldiers.

I am not surprised that some have not mentioned the place in the USA with the toughtest guns and weapons restrictions, and that is the USA prisons. Even with the toughtest gun control, people still get killed there virtually every day.

Some want a waiting period to buy a gun, but can you imagine having a waiting period to buy a car, rope, knife, or a bag of fertilizer?

I'd still maintain its cutlural. In an absolute sense, yes, a place that has guns gives one human another one more means of committing murder than one with out.

However, without knowing the stats (too lazy to look it up) I'd be shocked if Finland's and Switzerland's murder rate (2 countries with guns) were higher than England's. Plenty of states in the U.S. that like Montana, the Dakotas, etc. where guns are plentiful, primarily for hunting I'd guess which have a very very low crime rate. Probably lower than England's.

Various factors, socio-economic factors decide crime rates, not just the availability of guns. I can almost guarantee you if you lived in certain parts of the southern U.S. or the midwest you'd feel as safe as anywhere in England. You would forget that guns were legal and that everyone had until hunting season. You don't even think about it.

Archived