Just another sad argument for gun control

From the shit he did before the killings, I would say he qualified for hospilization for the mentally incapacitated.

The mental health laws pertaining to who can get guns and who can not are not standardized. A clear across the board policy is needed.

What I wonder about is that Virgina Tech has a ROTC program but nothing has been said about that.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just read my daily paper and was surprised to see that in the State of Utah, a student can, and some do, carry concealed weapons onto the campuses. It is not a crime and there have been no problems there with carrying guns.

As conservative as Utah is, that State does not require a motorcyclist to wear a helmet.

That stance from Utah is more libertarian than conservative. There is an old joke that defines a libertarian as a republican who wants to smoke pot.

Libertarians are strongly in favor of civil liberties and personal freedom. Some of the more die hard ones believe just about everything should be legal and allowable. I have some libertarian tendencies but my line is a bit closer to everyone else's than most of them.

What you can do to defend yourself has changed. Not sure if its the law but I know it was bellieved (or could be urban legend) that if you shoot someone near your property line and that person falls over it dead its manslaughter or worse for you. Or if someone breaks into your home and while inside your home you shoot the person, injure them and then shoot them a second time and kill them its murder because they were not a threat after the first shot. Technically I can see the reasoning but if in that type of situation you are scared and frightened and you may shoot out of a need to feel secure as crazy as that sounds.

• 4 years later...

Gun Control. Hitting what you are aiming for...

I know bad pun. Sad what has happened at school..

I have had rifles and hand guns most of my life. When I got my first 22 rifle for christmas years ago. My Father made me take a hunters safety course before I could even use it. Bad people will find whatever they think they need or want to try and kill with. Just my opinion

Bumping an old thread...

For a while, growing up, we lived in a small suburb of Waco, with open wilderness, containing rattlesnakes, abutting the back yards of the houses across the street.

There was sort of a gentleman's agreement in force. The kids stayed in their yard, and the snakes stayed in theirs, and everyone was happy.

EVERY mother in that neighborhood owned a shotgun, and they ALL knew how to use them. And every child learned to shoot, at least a .22 rifle, at a VERY young age.

And, every so often, a snake would forget about the agreement, and then we would all get walked over to whoever's house to see the remains, and be reminded that, if we saw something like that, NOT to try and play with it.

Archived