Just another sad argument for gun control

This event continues to evolve in many unusual directions. The number of official investigations that will have to be initiated to begin to understand what went wrong, is extensive. This man should have been sidelined a long time ago. Another examination of gun control yes, but this will be just one facet going forward.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I loved the argument by the NRA that if all the students were armed they could have returned fire. Can you imagine the death toll then. Maybe everyone should walk around with a couple of six shooters slung around their hips.

"I loved the argument by the NRA that if all the students were armed they could have returned fire. Can you imagine the death toll then. Maybe everyone should walk around with a couple of six shooters slung around their hips."

I don't see any evidence to support your position.

QUESTION: If you were at a place were a person came in with a gun and started shooting people, would you want a gun? Or would you wait your turn to be shot?

<< This man should have been sidelined a long time ago. Another examination of gun control yes, but this will be just one facet going forward. >>

This guy was a dangerous wacko, yet no one was willing to do anything. His English prof warned the uni after seeing the violence in the plays he wrote, but the uni decided to do nothing. Why -- because he was a minority student? Would they have done something if he had been Caucasian? Somebody effed up ... probably a lot of somebodies. This doesn't so much show a need to me for more gun control, but rather for more nutcase control!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18169776/?GT1=9246

Eight buildings at the University of Minnesota were evacuated Wednesday after a professor discovered a bomb threat.

The professor found a note in Smith Hall that included a bomb threat against several campus buildings. The buildings, including a library, were evacuated and classes in those buildings were canceled for the day.

The threat came two days after a 23-year-old Virginia Tech student killed 33 people on campus, including himself.

Universities and public schools in at least five other states also received threats Wednesday, and many of those ordered temporary lockdowns or evacuations.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070418/ap_on_re_us/uminn_evacuation

I wonder what the laws are for purchasing handguns in Virginia. (They vary by state and community. In NYC handguns are illegal w/o a licence. Think it is the same in Wash D.C, two havens of peace known for their lack of crime.)

Where I live, one has to go through a police background check that can involve up to two weeks before you can pick up your pistol and take it home. Such a check on this loony should have turned up the time he reportedly spent in a "mental health facility" and prevented him from buying any firearm. But the dealer who sold him his Glock says he was a clean cut university student, so there was no reason not to. Sounds like Virginia has some effed up laws.

"I loved the argument by the NRA that if all the students were armed they could have returned fire. Can you imagine the death toll then. Maybe everyone should walk around with a couple of six shooters slung around their hips."

I don't see any evidence to support your position.

QUESTION: If you were at a place were a person came in with a gun and started shooting people, would you want a gun? Or would you wait your turn to be shot?

Yesterday during the evening commute, talk radio was alive with seething gun nuts. Their big fix for the mass murder at Virginia Tech was to arm ALL the teachers and arm ALL the students. â??Thatâ??s how they do it in Israel and they donâ??t have that problem!â? shouted the corn-fed, all-American caller. Is Israel the bastion of peace and harmony on the planet? Nope. Not by a long shot.

The TV was all awash in hand-wringing, what-ifâ??s and live reports. There are 32 dead bodies in America!

The NRA have been lobbying for some time now for all teachers to be armed. The latest comments have suggested arming students as well.

If you have the time, watch the Tom Mauser interview. The guy who has led a push for gun control after his son was killed at columbine.

http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/

I heard or read somewhere today that Virginia gun control laws, at least at the retail level, are not that stringent. I believe one of the questions on the form that must be completed by the purchaser is related to stays or contact with mental institutions. All the man had to do was lie about his, no follow up. The police were also involved prior as women had complained about him stalking them. They did not press charges. He may have set some fires as well.

This guy was a dangerous wacko, yet no one was willing to do anything. His English prof warned the uni after seeing the violence in the plays he wrote, but the uni decided to do nothing. Why -- because he was a minority student? Would they have done something if he had been Caucasian? Somebody effed up ... probably a lot of somebodies. This doesn't so much show a need to me for more gun control, but rather for more nutcase control!

I agree about nutcase control, but the problem is the killer was an adult (18 or over) and the authorities have to determine that he's a danger to himself or others in order to do anything. In this case, it seems that should have been clear.

In Korea, they'd probably send him home to his parents and let them sort it out. Wouldn't have helped in this case though. After the incident, didn't the father commit suicide and the mother attempt to? I expect some serious family problems to be in the news soon.

Archived