Just another sad argument for gun control

A big campus like V.Tech is going to need more than a handgun in the dean's office. I guess my point, if I have one, is that allowing weapons on campus is a bad idea period. I can see an alarm button on the professor's desk maybe and armed security guards patrolling corridors but I can't believe the crap these NRA people come up with.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<< I suppose it comes down to whether the risk of attack by intruders out weighs the risk to your own children when they decide to play with Daddy's gun. >>

J2, many communities and some states have laws requiring firearms owners to have a lock on the trigger. Thus the kids cannot fire it, even if they get their hands on it. Dear old dad is supposed to have the key with him, so if a situation occurs where he needs to use it he can unlock the trigger.

I have a friend who was saved from at least a serious beating because his home was armed. He owns about 4 acres on the edge of the city, with a nice spring on the property. One day he saw a pickup truck with three cretins dumping their rubbish in his spring: broken bricks, concrete blocks, scraps of wood etc. He yelled at them and told them to stop. Instead, all three picked up hunks of wood as clubs and charged him. He ran to the house, screaming for his wife to call the cops. First thing she did was pick up his shotgun, go out onto the porch and fire a round into the air. The assailants dropped their clubs and fled. So what happened when the police arrived? They chewed out the wife for firing into the air, calling her a "danger to society". They made no attempt to track down the offenders either. Nice to know we can count on the police for protection. :(

What that Virginia uni needed was (1) a prez with enough sense to DO SOMETHING after he knew two people had been murdered on campus and (2) at least some armed campus police willing to do the job they were paid to do. When I was a student at the U of Cal, the campus police where actually state troopers. They didn't go about armed, but I'm sure their weapons were close at hand.

<< but I can't believe the crap these NRA people come up with. >>

I have friends who belonged to the NRA for years, but have since dropped their membership. As one put it to me, "All they are about now is politics."

There does seem to have been a security breakdown at V.Tech but it's always easy to see in hindsight. It looks like from now on every school, college and university in the US is going to have to be on alert 24/7. Hell of a way to live. Especially on top of all the 911, War on Terror and Homeland Security stuff and the endless barrage from the media..

My mother's cousin had shrapnel from anti-aircraft fire fall in her yard in Los Angeles. Damaged her car a bit too. No one even now is sure if they were firing on a Nipponese observation plane or simply a weather balloon.

:dunno:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_coast_air_raid

And the real story!

http://archive.alienzoo.com/conspiracytheory/laairraidconspiracy.html

Archived