Arai na?

Ok, I am renewing the Thai passports for my kids. The instructions say รู���าย สี ��า� 2 x 2 �ิ�ว. OK, color photos, sized 2x2 . What the feck is a �ิ�ว (niw?)? I am assuming 2x2 inch is what they want since that is a normal size but I want to make sure...

Cheers,

SD

Why you don't change to SI - in all scientific fields you must use it anyhow and the cost to change will be bigger for every day.

OK, niu = inch

thumb is niu bong (+ one longer), finger is niu my

inch btw was the thumb size of the king, the same with the feet - a new king = new measures so in the end impractical and expensive and later they decided not to change for every new king. So which egyptian king's measures are the ones we now use. I just remember that 1 inch = 2.54 cm, with that knowledge you can convert the most. :grin:

In Sweden we had in the 18hundreds tum (thumb - inch), fot (foot), aln (3 feet) and mil (mile) but of course not the same as the english measures, BTW we still have a mil but now it's 10 km.

PS. The aln (roman ulna) was from the elbow to the tip of the longfinger and divided in 2 (not 3) feet.

Origin of the inch...

"The English word inch comes from Latin uncia meaning "one twelfth part" (in this case, one twelfth of a foot); the word ounce (one twelfth of a troy pound) has the same origin.

"In some other languages, the word for "inch" is similar to or the same as the word for "thumb"; for example, French: pouce inch, pouce thumb; Italian: pollice inch, pollice thumb; Spanish: pulgada inch, pulgar thumb; Portuguese: polegada inch, polegar thumb; Danish/Norwegian: tomme inch, tommel thumb; Swedish: tum inch, tumme thumb; Dutch: duim inch, duim thumb; Sanskrit: Angulam inch, Anguli Finger."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inch

Archived