"New Balance" sneakers in Pattaya ?

I'm curious to know if anyone has come across "New Balance" sneakers in/around Pattaya. I like these because they have a wide toe box.

Sneakers, eh!. Well that is a dated term. Non of the Baby Boomers would recognize that term.

To be socially correct, they are properly termed 'athletic shoes', 'walking shoes', and a slightly older term, 'tennis shoes', or 'boating shoes'.

Sneakers goes way back to the original canvas shoe with a rubber flat bottom. Converse and Keds had the market back then. Sadly, Converse and Keds has demised.

Almost all of these 'shoes' are manufactured in China now. A few might be manufactured in Thailand, Taiwan, and Indonesia. But mostly China. NIKE has zero factories. All contracted out to sweat shop, prison camp, child labor, factories. The same is true for New Balance and the rest. Yes, New Balance has one factory in Lawrence, MA USA but only one or two styles are made there. And the few that are, are manufactured with 'imported' components, ie CHINA.

The cost of a 'sneaker' in LOS is more than North America. I looked all around on one trip. Prices much/some higher than NA. No bargains.

Unless, they are 'bootleg' ones. Now that is a good topic for 'sneakers'.

"An athletic shoe is a generic name for a shoe designed for sporting activities, and is different in style and build than a dress shoe. Originally known as sporting apparel, today they are known as casual footwear. Depending on what part of the world you live in, they can also go by the name trainers (British English), sandshoes (Australian English) 'running shoes' or 'runners' (Canadian English) or sport shoes, running shoes, gym shoes, tennis shoes, sneakers (US English). In some urban areas in the United States, the term for casual athletic shoes is kicks. In Hiberno-English the term is runners. In South African English the term used is takkies."

From the history of sneakers.

"The term sneaker was first used in 1916 by the United States Rubber Company for the Keds brand, because rubber soles made the shoes quiet. That is how the "sneaker" got its name because they were so quiet, that a person wearing them could sneak up on someone. The British English term "trainer" derives from "training shoe".

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to Royal Garden Plaza yesterday with another board member, and the shop you mentioned on the first floor (on right as entering from Beach Rd.) does indeed carry New Balance 'trainers,' 'running shoes' and even an 'all terrain walking shoe.' They are still all 'sneakers' in my lingo. And, they aren't cheap compared to the last pair I bought on Cape Cod in the States. I paid $49.00 many moons ago. The pair I saw and liked yesterday was priced at 3699. Bhat. What is it with the Thais and all these 9's ... ? I will say that even if they come from China (probably do), they are far superior to the ones I got years ago

For sandals (if they're still called that), I always liked Clarks from the UK. Also, Clark's had great 'Earth shoes' (anybody remember that terminology?) with a nice wide toe box ... very comfortable for me. The only problem with Clark's was that they never wore out! I'd end up throwing them out after years of use and then purchase a newer style.

Also, Rockport's (shoes) from the States felt great on these arthritic feet. I've still got 3 pairs of Rockport's that I got from Macy's in Massachusetts ... but, I hardly ever wear them since moving to Pattaya.

• 2 weeks later...

When I was a little kid and I had a new pair of "sneakers," it felt great. Like I had some sort of extra power. I could sneak around and do anything.

As for New Balance? Try the Sports Authority? store, either at Big C or Royal Garden Plaza in Pattaya. They have them there. I,too, do better with a wide width. New Balance seems to specialize in that.

Rex

Archived