Amazing Goals Showcase Thread

ChristianTroy

It's pretty hard to beat this one: The 30 Most Beautiful Football Goals

Has a few that have already been suggested - Owen against Argentina, Beckham half-way line, Bergkamp Newcastle and Bergkamp Argentina. Also includes a few I was looking for individually - Sinclair's overhead kick from outside the area, a couple from Matt Le Tissier, the Roberto Carlos free kick and a cheeky Robbie Fowler one. Zlatan too, scored a goal a couple of years ago that was probably better than Messi's and it's here.

The only big one missing is Van Basten's wonder goal in Euro 88. http://youtube.com/watch?v=09L8dxRUWIA

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

World Cup qualifier 1994: Holland 2-0 England, Rotterdam

A match forever immortalised in an infamous documentary charting the woes of Graham Taylor's reign as England manager.

Ronald Koeman scored with a re-taken free-kick 20 yards from David Seaman's goal, giving the home side a vital 1-0 lead.

But the Barcelona defender should not have been anywhere near the ball considering his earlier professional foul on David Platt which only merited a yellow card from the referee.

The challenge was made the more insulting when television replays confirmed Platt had been brought down inside the box, but the referee awarded only a free-kick.

And the salt was ground deeper into the wounds when Dennis Bergkamp scored the second - a goal which ultimately cost Taylor his tenancy as England manager.

sorry LG........

Cantona's chip against Sunderland was class and the celebration was priceless........ :grinyes:

i prefer a team goal,not individual ones.

anyone remember Leeds v Southampton in the 70's/80's?.

over 30 passes and every team member touched the ball during the move....... :soccer:

sorry LG........

Cantona's chip against Sunderland was class and the celebration was priceless........ :grinyes:

i prefer a team goal,not individual ones.

anyone remember Leeds v Southampton in the 70's/80's?.

over 30 passes and every team member touched the ball during the move....... :soccer:

That goal that Cantona scored against Sunderland was great. Its an enduring image I have of Cantona and I think it summed up everything that he was about.

he just scored a goal of pure class, but turned around and was all blaisez about it as if to say it was easy...

Bergkamp against Newcastle is a good call though because it was such an entirely new piece of skill.

Yeah' date=' but it was only against Newcastle ........

[/quote']

Well, doing it against a disabled team of kids might have been more difficult but it was such a an original piece of skill that it still stood out. But the Werder Bremen clip showed something that has been done before, better. If it's in an ordinary game, it has to be original or the best example of its type, I think.

*Don't know whether CT knows this but Xabi Alonso not only scored two goals from his own half in the same year, they were consecutive goals and they were scored with different feet! Still, like the Werder Bremen thing, neither goal was that good. While being a Liverpool fan, I have to hand the half-way line best goal accolade to Beckham.

That reminds me of my two favourite moments in football. Both are misses in the 1970 World Cup but, being by Pele, they're beautiful.

1. Pele dummies the goalkeeper

.. and misses. But the way he even tries it is glorious...

2. Pele tries to chip the Czech goaly from his own half (24 seconds into this clip)

... and misses. But he was about the first to try it. And it was still beautiful.

:worship:

sorry LG........

That goal that Cantona scored against Sunderland was great. Its an enduring image I have of Cantona and I think it summed up everything that he was about.

he just scored a goal of pure class' date=' but turned around and was all blaisez about it as if to say it was easy...[/quote']

Ah, but it was only against Lionel Perez! No, I agree with you both, it made me laugh out loud, especially his 'celebration'. I think it came out top of Sky's list of greatest ever Man Utd goals, didn't it? Or was that Giggs?

Anyway, here's Eric:

Ooh Aah ......

Mind, this one was canny too:

and this!

i have to agree with Bibblies about some of the Goals.

the Alonso Goals were good in their own way but as Bibbs says not as good as the Beckham one.

Alonso's Goal against Newcastle was an easy save until the Goalie slipped and the one against Luton was against an unguarded Goal.

i remember the Pele ones very well.

1970 and due to the time difference some games were played before i went to school.

his dummying of the Goalie was CLASS and deserved a Goal........ :bow:

Archived