Bkk nightlife closedown time update

I've been on the front lines for the last few days and the news is not encouraging I'm afraid. I was in Pattaya a few days ago and the the situation is the same.

Seems the 2am closing time is really taking hold with noticeably increased enforcement compared to about a month ago. With the recent vote of confidence for the PM (although very narrow) it is only likely to get worse.

At exactly 2am the night before last the police pulled into the Nana hotel parking lot and went in to ensure Nana disco was kicking everyone out. The same thing was happening across the street at Nana Plaza. After watching the limited activity outside for awhile I went over to Thermae about 2:45 to see all the people outside since Thermae has also apparently been shut down at 2am. Right about when I arrived the police pulled up and all the girls scattered. The police walked around with their flashlights and told everyone ,including tourists such as myself, to dispurse and go back to our homes/hotels. This is not a good thing since I was starting to get used to the after 2am activities outside Thermae and had been having good luck in the past. It's well lit and sooner or later something interesting would usually come along if you waited long enough. I do notice lots more girls standing around after 2am between Thermae and Nana but it's just too damn hit and miss.

I have a feeling that some of the nightime action may be moving to somewhere where they are not closing down early. Anyone have any idea where that might me. I heard some areas around Patpong (where the police are more financially involved) might be picking up or at least have the potential. Anyone have anything to contribute in this regard?

As far as Pattaya, same story. The police rode on their motorcycles up and down the Soi's to ensure the Bar Beers and GoGos are shutting down. A few are still kinda/sorta walking a fine line but shutting their lights off but still serving customers. That activity is very spotty at best though. The disco's in Pattaya still seem to be going strong all night. Marine 1 till 2am but not easy pickings in there. Many just want to party. Tony's till maybe 4am but it's even harder to operate in there.

Hi Alfalfa, how's Darla?

Thanks for your report. If you don't mind, I would like to chime in here with even worse news.

Long Gun and I were in Titty Twister Friday night when the lights came on at precisely 1:50 am - before 2 am. Down Thermae way by the time I arrived, the place was vacated. I spoke to a few ladies I know and they say the lights were on there before 2 am also. Just as you mentioned I saw two police vehicles show up with their red lights spinning. They had cops telling all to move on so that by 2:30 am the front of Thermae was like a ghost town (although there were plenty of folks at the food tables on either side).

We met a friend who had been to Lucifer Night Club in Patpong and RCA and he said those places were closed up at 1 AM.

Making matters worse, Sukhumvit used to be a decent place to meet up with some ladies with the early closings. However, Friday and Saturday evenings it was raining (buckets from the sky Saturday), so this literally put a damper on any further nocturnal activities on that street.

One wonders how long Thermae will put up with this. Essentially, it does not get busy there until about midnight. With closing in less than two hours, will they continue to open for this limited business? How much money can they be making when their busy times are being squashed by the fuzz?

Maybe in the long run, like a few years from

now, when everyone starts adjusting to a new time pattern, everything will start to get going alot earlier (like 8 pm) with the peak times being

about 11 pm. That sounds good to me....maybe Nana Disco will be crowded at

10pm instead of totally empty until 12.

[ August 06, 2001: Message edited by: Hello Welcom ]

Archived