Nut Allergy

stumpy

Hi, will be visiting soon with friend who has a nut allergy.

Could someone type a warning in Thai we could show in restaurants etc that states.

Nut Allergy, no nuts in the food please. Eating nuts would cause serious and life threatening illness.

Many thanks.

As a side note, anyone know if there is much awareness of nut allergy in Thailand?

I would say he needs to have whatever medication helps him.

I would think most places have no idea where their food came from (nut exposure wise)

So they may not throw nuts in whatever they are cooking but it might be in some ingrediant,

even here in America I would not know items that had hidden nut products in them, even though it "should" be on the package in the USA.

OC

Maybe he should take a couple of epi-pens with him. I think he should also educate you in what to do in an emergency. By the sounds of what you have said you don't speak Thai. Most allergies relating to nuts are from ground nuts (peanuts, almonds) Most Thai cooking uses cashews a tree nut which usually are safe. But I think he should be extremely cautious.

Hi,

"Most Thai cooking uses cashews"

Peanuts are being used as well, for instance in pad thai and some version of som tam.

'Phae thua' could be used to say you are allergic to nuts.

Sanuk!

Your right KS. Perhaps I should have said a lot. Maybe he should just stick to the Golden Arches.

Hi, thanks for the thoughts. Friend carries epi-pens at all times and I am well aware of what to do if nuts are ingested. I am also aware that quite a lot of Thai foods contain nuts.

We were wanting some text we could show to advise of the allergy just to try and be extra sure in case we had missed anything when ordering.

Hi,

Asked a colleague to translate the sentence below:

"This person is allergic to nuts. Even if he eats only a little bit he could get seriously ill."

���ี������ร�แ���ั�ว ��ากิ�แม�แ���ิ���ียว อา��ะ �ำ�ห���วยห�ัก

Will this do?

Sanuk!

thua(l) can mean nuts, but also can mean beans.

I recommend to be more specific. In Thailand about the only nuts used widely in cooking would be peanuts and cashews. You might want to also specify no peanut oil, but this is expensive and hard to find in Thailand, and would generally only be found in more expensive Chinese restaurants.

I would also use the full word: pum-pae(h) for allergic.

Maybe something like this translated into Thai:

kon nee(h) pum-pae(h) thua(l) li(h)-sawng® lae(h) met(h) ma(h)-muang(f) hi(l)-ma(h)-phan

gaan gin sak(h) nit(h) ja(l) siang(l) sia® chee-wit(h)

This person is allergic to peanuts and cashews. Eating just a small amount could risk death.

Or maybe add this:

gin sak(h) nit(h) mai(f) dai(f) duai(f) sam(h) bpen an khat(l)

He can't even eat a small amount under any circumstances.

Archived