Nut Allergy

stumpy

Unless your friend can communicate directly with the cook, she should eat only foods that she knows are safe.

Just like in any country, cooks don't like to take orders from waiters and generally ignore whatever they're told.

Also, they are usually working two or three woks at a time, 12 or more hours a day and run on auto-pilot; they will probably completely forget the instruction or loose track of which order it applies to within seconds.

Finely ground peanut "flour" is also used as a thickener in some dishes.

There is a big difference between peanuts and nuts like cashews. In fact peanuts are not a nut they are a goober. Goobers grow in the ground like beans etc while nuts grow on trees.

If your friend has a peanut allergy then avoid pad thai and som tom, otherwise they won't have much problems most Thai food.

If she has a "nut" allergy she needs to very careful. Even if you hand a note over saying don't add nuts she could still get very sick. Cooking things like cashew chicken leaves a residue in the pan that transfer over to other food cooked in the same pan.

Make sure carries an epi-pen as well as some Benadryl in capusle form. When eating something they may have had nuts in it or cooked befroe in the same pan they'll feel it immediatly in the mouth. If this happens pop in a Benadryl capsule and chew it up, thake a drink of water and let it all slosh around in the mounth then swallow.

Watch them closely during eating. If their eys's start turning red or the face gets red and puffing get them to a doctor ASAP.

This is experience speaking here.

Thanks for all the advice. Friend will be bringing epi-pens but wishes to know if they can be bought in Thailand. I feel sure but can anyone confirm? Does she need to see a doctor there or can they be bought over the counter?

Thanks in advance.

I'ver never seen them here but I'd reccomend bringingthem with you. The ones from the states come in a sealed case with the scrip covering the seal so there's no problem with customs. I've carried them for years and even had them checked here, Sillypore, Malaysia and oher places and never had a problem

• 4 weeks later...
Hi,

Asked a colleague to translate the sentence below:

"This person is allergic to nuts. Even if he eats only a little bit he could get seriously ill."

à¸?à¸?à¸?ีà¹?à¹?à¸?à¹?à¸?à¹?รà¸?à¹Âà¸?à¹?à¸?ัà¹?ว à¸?à¹?าà¸Âิà¸?à¹Âมà¹?à¹Âà¸?à¹?à¸?ิà¸?à¹?à¸?ียว อาà¸?à¸?ะ à¸?ำà¹?หà¹?à¸?à¹?วยหà¸?ัà¸Â

Will this do?

Sanuk!

Hi All,

Thans for the help and a quick update on this, I have now returned from Thailand with my friend and we have had a great holiday and no medical problems.

A special thanks to KS for the above translation which we printed out and used. Although we still had to be vigiliant it was very useful and seemed to be widely understood and did work as several times things were removed from our table.

Would it be okay to pass the above phrase on to others, possibly to the Campaign for Anaphalxis?

Regards,

SD.

Archived