INCREADABLE NEWS !! RE PATPONG

keith doug

Again, as discussed earlier the newly legislated closing times for Nana, Cowboy and Clinton will be 2AM (Remember, the legal closing time is presently 1AM, stretched until 2 or 3 AM). Pat Pong will be 5 AM. However, most of the GoGo bars will close earlier unless they have enough customers to justify the expense.

All of this commotion about closng times will be over in about two weeks when the annual police reshuffle is completed. We go through it every year, just not normally as vicious as this year. I doubt Khun Thaksin even knows it is going on, much less orchestrating it.

One of the DJs at Clinton Plaza hit Pat Pong last night (Friday) at 4:30 AM and says it was going strong. I haven't been able to get a confirmation on this.

quote:

RE BERNARD TRINK COLUMN BANGKOK POST FRI 10 AUG ALL BARS IN PATPONG ARE CLOSING AT 1230 PM AND HE IS NOT USUALLY INCORRECT CAN ANY ONE TELL ME IS IT REALLY TRU !!!!!

Keith,

Do use a favor, please:

- Look at the column of keys on the left side of your keyboard

- Locate the 'Caps Lock' key in this column (just above the 'Shift' key)

- Press the 'Caps Lock' key once

- Do not press the 'Caps Lock' key a second time. When you need to type a letter in uppercase, hold down the 'shift key', press the letter you wish to type, then release the 'shift key'.

Thank You,

JG

Tghe last few times I've been in Patpong in recent weeks (including last Friday 10/07) I left the bars at 02:00.

Trink seems to be living on his own planet these days.

Stick

As you rightly pointed out in one of your excellent weekly columns I believe, we do indeed live in changing times.

I would love to know what the big game plan. I would guess Thailand has decided to try and shake of it's sex trade reputation.

Stated further up this thread: "All of this commotion about closng times will be over in about two weeks when the annual police reshuffle is completed."

Now contrast with the following article from today's Bangkok Post:

"Purachai furious bar was open after 2am

The interior minister has ordered the transfer of the Bang Rak police superintendent after he found a Patpong nightspot [Music Cafe] open after 2am.

Purachai Piumsombun inspected several entertainment districts on Friday night, enforcing the government's strict policy against drugs and vice.

He was accompanied by city police chief Anan Piromkaew. They were backed up by 30 police commandos....

A source said Mr Purachai was furious and ordered Pol Lt-Gen Anan to turn off the bar's lights and inspect the passports of 15 foreigners who were still drinking and dancing...The bar owner was arrested and charged with staying open beyond legal hours.

Pol Lt-Gen Anan called a meeting of chiefs of all city stations yesterday to stress Mr Purachai's strict anti-drugs policy...The interior minister did not want entertainment venues to become havens of vice.

Pol Col Poonsap insisted all venues, including Music Cafe, were closed before 2am on Saturday....He will probably be replaced by..."

The entire article can be found at: www.bangkokpost.com/today/130801_News05.html, but I thought it useful to post this abridged version since later readers will find it hard to access once the Bangkok Post archives the article and to draw attention to two rather troubling matters raised in the article.

First, the raid was conducted by the Ministry of Interior. The next step is the PM himself. This is very high level.

Second, the article mentions that passports of foreignors were inspected, but nothing about Thai ID cards. Concerns about the anti-foreign views of the current government have been expressed before, but for a better sense of what is happening, I suggest you take a look at a recent article in the most currrent edition of the Far Eastern Economic Review about the PM, which can be found at: www.feer.com/2001/0108_16/p016region.html. It is too long to repeat in full here, but consider this quote: "His Thai-language dinner speeches are peppered with anti-foreigner rhetoric..."

The Far Eastern Economic Review is not known for being alarmist, and one of the most credible serious sources of information on Asia. And it is not only the Far Eastern Economic Review. Articles expressing similiar concerns have appeared in The Asian Wall Street Journal, The Economist, the Financial Times, the New York Times and even the Los Angles Times. Potential investors in the LOS read these papers (well, maybe not the LA Times), and these sorts of reports influence investment decisions. As the Thai economy declines, a whipping boy will be needed, and since George Soros is no longer available to blame, guess how might make a good whipping boys??? It is not so hard to imagine, is it?

I hope the comment "All of this commotion about closng times will be over in about two weeks when the annual police reshuffle is completed" is right, but I would not bet money on it.

I am glad I live in LA and not the LOS. When the crisis started a few years back, I used to say "nice place to visit, but I wanted want to live there." Now I wonder if even the first part of that pat cliche will be true six months from now.

[ August 13, 2001: Message edited by: New Dog on the Block ]

New Dog on the Block, may I call you NDotB? Excellant post and thanks for the link to the FEER article so I can send it to some friends.

A couple of points. After they left Pat Pong they went to a non-Farang non-sex area to inspect.

In the last two weeks, at Nana, the police have been hammering Closing times, underage and drugs. They have been ignoring the four anal penetration dildo shows in Nana, The beer bottle shows, lesbian shows and 3 boxing shows. They have also been ignoring naked women and I also hear there may also be prostitutes available in these venues.

Any bar owner stupid enough to be open after 2AM now days is nuts or thinks he has police permission. Either the on site police missed it (unlikely), one of on site police was taking money (unlikely without higher approval) or the Lt Gen'l was set up.

Frankly, my money is on the set-up. You recall a similiar thing happened to a Military high up recently? And this is the time of the annual military and police reshuffles....sometimes they don't want to go.

Whatever, the reason, the same thing happened to the LT-Gen'l that would happen to a Western Police commander. He was disciplined and transferred.

The article said 12 Farang Ids were checked. It did not say whether Thais were present or, if so, whether their IDs were checked. It is incorrect to draw the conclusion, from the information in the article, that Farangs were singled out.

In the last two weeks the Thai entertainment areas have been getting hit just as hard as the Farang areas. And, for the same reasons; Closing times, underage and drugs. The police are usually fairly straight forward about what they expect. If they say it is closing times, underage and drugs...I believe them.

And if they say it will be over in a couple weeks with more attention paid to closing times in the future, I believe them.

However, "Just because you are not paranoid doesn't mean they're not really out to get you." I think a quote from "Where the Buffalo Roam".

Archived