Stoopid bar manager story, part 2573...

Right, Christopher Walken in True Romance...

Anyone does something to disrupt the positive karmic flow of my - and especially 'our', if there's a group - party spirit, that manager deserves a little warning, an explanation, before they change the flow. And if they don't cooperate after a warning, that's the end of my patronage! (although an obvious symbol might be necessary, like big tips to the girls and a 1 baht tip and exaggerated goodbye to the manager) I can't believe Suadum didn't have the influence to tell the manager to fuck off? Or was it a sneak attack?

Shame shame on the bar manager who doesn't cooperate with the local expat posse!

YimSiam :smirk:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK so I own bars not go-gos but the principle is much the same. The manager was caught between a rock and a hard place. SD says that the group had not been together for a while and thus, the manager may not have been fully aware of the likely spend. Tips given to the girls constitutes part of the spend but none of it ends up in the owner's pocket so it doesn't count.

What if the guys had blown 3k each ? What if they come back everyday for 2 weeks ? What if they spent Bt3k each yesterday etc. Remember also that you only get one chance to make a first impression and if I was leading a gang of 20 guys, I would be asking places what they could do for me as well and to hell with the "pop in now and again" expats. No special treatment, we don't come in. Period.

How would I handle it ? Well for starters, there is no way I would let the 20 guys not come in so we have to look at how to manage their coming to the bar.

If I had been aware of your spend, I would have likely mentioned that I had a group of 20 tourists coming in and I would be asking the girls to change to put on a show. I would expect most guys to understand unless they had barfined the girl in question. I would not have taken too kindly to accusations of the "don't you know who I am" scenario. However, I would also be aware that perhaps I did not have sufficient "product" to sell.

All in all, the manager attempted to do the right thing but did not read the situation right, with the benefit of hindsight. Had they spent Bt60k between them, then he would have been well and truly vindicated.

In all groups, there is a leader and perhaps a number two. I get the feeling from this story that the leader felt his nose was put out of place and decided to leave. The "sheep" then followed.

It is quite a rare skill for a manager or owner to spot the leader and not to pay attention to the sheep.

BINGO!!! 100% right SD he should have let the stupid cunts come in show thier asses and also kept your crowd happy. Bar Management 101: Keep everybody happy!!

I'm with you on this point. If the group of 20 wants special treatment, let them come in and earn it. If they decline, then 'OK, sorry. Bye.' I think sticking to policy is best for the bar in the long run. I don't know which bar SD is referring to, but at a successful bar the group of twenty would have been told to fuck off anyway - there wouldn't even be seats for them.

On the other hand, I also agree with Neo. If any group wants to have control of a bar, or at least a portion of it, multiple barfines are essential, and not too expensive in a go-go.

I don't go with the philosophy that the manager sizes up the situation and makes a decision based on what will extract the greater amount of baht on a particular night, to the displeasure of other customers. Sounds very Thai though.

Tiger,

I will point out that this is NOT the first time this guy has done something like this to "our gang."

The sader/worse part is, this incident resulted in Father T and Numbers showing up at my hotel just as I was checking in, making a drunken scene in the lobby, demanding cigars! And worse yet, going to my room, which looked pretty damned gay...and turned out to be pretty damned disappointing as well I'll add! :)

Well if you wanted your girls of choice to be glued to you for the rest of the night, you could have just paid barfines. I would not have had a problem with a girl getting up to do a little show

I hate it when you pay the Bar fine and they want her to still work or do a little dance, I ask for my bar fine back, they say why? I say did you pay her bar fine they get the picture

Those points were meant to be mutually exclusive. Either pay the barfine and she's yours period or do LD's and let her get on stage occasionally is pretty standard. I have never heard of paying bar and then she is asked to dance--the barfine is a release from duty at the bar for the night! Likewise giving LD's is not a guarantee she doesn't dance--how many topics on the "I go dance now" issue have there been?

Overall I liked torrenova's perspective on this.

I understand the customer point of view and I understand the bar owners point of view!

When it is a small bar as you have said you can't afford to turn down 20 customers. They might come back the next days or has already been well known! Buying lady drinks is nice of you guys but don't forget that the owner has to pay the girls money for that too, the LD margin probably equals with regular drinks! Since it is a small bar and SC closes very early the owner was probably just hoping for 20 drunken dumb nuts who bar fine half his staff, from what I read there was no barfine to expect from you guys! Just drinks!

You obviously know this guy very well and that is probably part of why you are angry, he pissed on your party and interrupted your fun. Let's not forget that all these girls seemed to have fun but have also been blocked for others, it is also counter productive when almost the entire staff sits with one group of people and there is no action going on. Whoever comes to this bar turns around and leaves!

If I was running the bar; I would have tried to organize it in to one big party. Went over to the table where the gang was setting bought a round of drinks and ask to borrow the girls for 5 minutes for the show. Shows over, newbie wankers leave, back to the party at hand. Everybodyâ??s happy!!!

Archived