Earthquake north of Chiang Rai - effects in Bangkok

Stickman

They're reporting that there was an earthquake 95 km north of Chiang Rai. I am sitting in my condo in Bangkok and did not feel a thing but my phone has been going crazy. A number of buildings in downtown Bangkok are being emptied out and the staff told to go home. I also got an SMS from a friend who said that Pacific Place, the building next to Landmark Hotel, was about to go down! Personally, that sounds a bit far fetched but I am not there to see for myself so who knows. Whatever the case, there is what I would term "mild hysteria" in Bangkok at present.

Stick

I was watching the last bit of Uturn on the movie channel and right when Bobby (Shaun Penn) was strangling the life out of Grace (Jennifer Lopez) the building started to shake. At first thought it was my imagination but when it intensified it became obvious that it really was a quake. I'm no longer an earthquake virgin! Amazing Thailand. Was considering waking the gf and heading down the stairs to get out of the building when it subsided. Took a look outside to see the pool sloshing a bit. Can't imagine that there was any damage here in CR. Not feeling real comfy about going to sleep tonight on the 9th floor of a concrete building tonight though.

Archived