Crackdown article - from today's The Nation

Stickman

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks,Stick. i sense the press at large reflects the feeling that this kind of self-righteous policy-making could backfire sooner or later. I liked the last sentence. They may have a revolution on their hands,and not just from B/Gs, as well as a de-evolution from tourist revenues. what does the Interior minister propose as an economic alternative (ie. eating) for "his" children? Let's wait and see...

quote:

Originally posted by pattaya127:

. what does the Interior minister propose as an economic alternative (ie. eating) for "his" children? Let's wait and see...

Why would he need an economic alternative. I think he is going a great job and may be one of the first steps to legalizing the problem and controlling the scene. So far it a free for allm which girls are suffering because of the greed of bar owners. late nights, few to none holidays, poor wages for waitess staff etc.

I think he is more than fair with his 6 zone rules. All the other areas are generally in a residental area- ie ID4, taurus, many massage parlors etc.

Good on him.. Go for it. Keep it coming. There is no sence of thais suffereing because some tourist does not want to change his sleeping patterns.

Everyone will just have to start earily which is fine from me. Go out for supper with friends and then hit the town. Instead of waiting till 8-9 to meet up with friends and not hitting the sack till 3 am which really fucks your next day

Keep the policies coming and soon god for bid we might have a thailand that is not lawless. go go go go go go

I think he is more than fair with his 6 zone rules. All the other areas are generally in a residental area- ie ID4, taurus, many massage parlors etc.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

One of the areas he is promoting is Patpong. Patpong is within 50 metres of a hospital and his guidelines are 300 metres.

form schools, Temples and Hospitals.

The crackdown is getting fairly big news coverage and there was a very lengthy report on it on ITV television news at midday. The cops seemed unrelenting in their approach and said that "many people had appealed to have the closing time softended but that would not be happening". Note: the report on TV was completely Thai area oriented and covered "regular" bars and not commercial sex venues.

Stick

Interior Minister:

"I urge all sides to give priority to the interests of the country and our children rather than those of entertainment operations...".

But what is the overall logic behind this, if there is any? How exactly is making entertainment places close down early supposed to work in the interests of Thailand and the children? Anybody got a clue on this?

There were a couple of articles in this weeks Pattaya Mail in a similar vein. The Pattaya Cheif of Police held a meeting with concerned entertainment industry workers and stated that the crackdown is because of

underage people allowed into bars / discos

the prevalence of drugs in these places

noise pollution from these places

He intimated that if the entertainment industry was to put it's own house in order then the laws might be relaxed much quicker.

In my experience this does not relate to tourist venues except perhaps the drugs problems in Marine, Tony's and Marine 2 here in Pattaya.

It's the Thai bars and discos that are the major source of this problem but at least this time round the police are also shutting them down. I can't hear the local karaoke at 5 am any more, now if they would just do something about that bloody mosque at 5:30 am I might just take them seriuosly.

There was also a report of how Soi Yodsak was raided last week. When I was there it was business as usual in King Kong but Bullring wanted the customers to take the girls out to short time hotels for fear of police raids.

quote:

Originally posted by whosyourdaddy:

Why would he need an economic alternative. I think he is going a great job and may be one of the first steps to legalizing the problem and controlling the scene. So far it a free for allm which girls are suffering because of the greed of bar owners. late nights, few to none holidays, poor wages for waitess staff etc.

Good on him.. Go for it. Keep it coming. There is no sence of thais suffereing because some tourist does not want to change his sleeping patterns.

Everyone will just have to start earily which is fine from me. Go out for supper with friends and then hit the town. Instead of waiting till 8-9 to meet up with friends and not hitting the sack till 3 am which really fucks your next day

Keep the policies coming and soon god for bid we might have a thailand that is not lawless. go go go go go go

Why then doesn't he promote it as such, a governmental attempt at introducing fairness in working hours and paycheks for lowly employees? I do not think he gives a damn. The whole coercive measure is about waging war on drugs and illegal activities, period. Not making BKK or LOS a haven of worker protection. not all bad, but i am still far from giving high credence to a Thai politician's avowed sense of outrage. remember Thaksin hid income and got saved on spurious ground. Now, what's this about a lawless country? Got that right, indeed!

To hell with the 6 or 3 districts. Let's support only our districts (Soi Cowboy, etc.), even if they close early. Let's boycott the "officially sanctioned" districts! shocked.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by whosyourdaddy:

This , sent from a thai guy called Ratchanee to The Nation:

<<Let us not kid ourselves in Thailand that the Falang Bar scene is the smallest and yet most visible part of the prostitution in this country. The Thai scene is not only larger but also far more distasteful. This is where women are bought and sold and forced into servitude and yet these "crackdowns" do not address this part of Thai life at all. Is far more difficult to make the necessary changes that will offer poor Thai's positive alternatives to this lifestyle. I think greater education well beyond twelve years of education would be a start. Attempting to shame people whether they are Thai' or Falang is just boob bait for bubbas and not going to bring about any real lasting change. We all want a greater Thailand one that levels the playing field for all people. Give people an opportunity to better themselves and their families without stooping to prostitution. These changes are long term not short. They have no easy solutions but a long-term agenda that has immediate cost with long reaching and long term results for all.

When I read in the papers that a global pedophile has been apprehended in Thailand; and will finally be brought to justice it makes me happy. I believe normal adult behavior is to cherish our youth be their guardians and protect them. The articles in the Thai papers fail to bring up the fact that a Thai senator was caught basically doing the same behavior as a pedophile but is seen in a different light and allowed to go free without similar justice. What is good for the goose is good for the gander. If we want to be beyond critique we must see that justice is applied equally and fairly. If the shoe fits wear it>>

Archived