Crackdown article - from today's The Nation

Stickman

The hoax letter was placed by Rapidofreddy.

Anyone know who he is and why he would do something so stupid. The Nanapong guys are demanding an answer from him. What a jerk!!!

Claims that Khun Sanuk is Dutch and married to a Thai lady. Obviously hasn't spoken to Khun sanuk if he thinks that.

[ August 27, 2001: Message edited by: rictic ]

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have heard many remarks regarding the cluelessness of the ministers involved. I would like to point out that to achieve that level of power you have to be far from clueless. Though the particular minister involved may only be acting as a figurehead this particular issue is not about drugs, cleaning up Thailand image abroad or even tourism. Its about politics and money. The consequenses to tens of thousands of Thais are easily worked out. However with rezoning of entertainment areas cutting out nana and soi cowboy. Leaving only Patpong which happens to be Chinese/thai owned(Coincedence of course) Lets ask ourselves who owns the land on which these new zones will be built??

Any guesses?? well its not farang and its certainly not anyone who is not a chum of those in power. As an additional benefit the Thai goverment can point to how Thailands image abroad is so much better and how drugs and alcoholism have been beaten. Not that a thing will change there.

Tha thai scene will be largely uneffected and eventually Pattaya and Phucket will get back to business as normal. Though it will probably be used as an excuse to put a few chums into the correct positions in the police force before that occurs.

Due to the large investment that his chums are making the nightlife scene will get more expensive, thus driving folks abroad, back to the Phillipinnes if they can sort themselves out or more likely Cambodia.

In other words bad for Thailand as a whole but good for certain people in Thailand.

Cynical soul am I not??

AFAIK these new restrictions is just the same old laws they had for many years, but due to a corrupt police force never been acted upon. I have also heard that they also force the ordinary thai places outside the farang circus, to close earlier.I heard this from a thai friend outside the entertainment industy.

Hi!

Glenn

It's possible to be clueless in some fields without being ít in all. The obviously are good at climbing the political ladder. This does nor neccessarely imply that they know anything about the nation the rule.

I don't know all that much about Thai politics but this is true for Swedish politics and I'm sure that politics are similar in any democracy anywhere in the world.

regards

ALHOLK

Archived