Crackdown article - from today's The Nation

Stickman

Originally posted by worldwalker:

'Interior Minister:

"I urge all sides to give priority to the interests of the country and our children rather than those of entertainment operations...".

But what is the overall logic behind this, if there is any? How exactly is making entertainment places close down early supposed to work in the interests of Thailand and the children? Anybody got a clue on this?'

Worldwalker, the minister is absolutely clueless himself. It's a typical Thai thing: By sweeping things under the carpet they think the problem is gone. How can the early closing make the drug problem or teenage prostitition go away? It's complete bullshit.

Why doesn't the government address the main reason, namely the one that the majority of lower and middle class Thai families are completely dysfunctional - most fathers have long done a runner, the mother is living with her new husband/boyfriend, and the kids are emotionally left high and dry. If the government tried to instil a few more values in their people (foremost the men) then many problems would disappear on their own. But how can the government instil moral values when the politicians themselves have so much dirt in their cupboard? And their IQs seem to leave much to be desired, too. I sometimes hang out in a place which has many members of Parliaments as patrons; I tell you, these guys are nothing but farmers dressed up in expensive suits - real low-grade stuff. I've heard some of them curse in a language not any better than the average Isaan bargirl's. Well, maybe it was just because they were dead drunk ...

[ August 26, 2001: Message edited by: Scum_Baggio ]

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quote:

Originally posted by Scum_Baggio:

If the government tried to instil a few more values in their people (foremost the men) then many problems would disappear on their own. [ August 26, 2001: Message edited by: Scum_Baggio ][/QB]

God (whoever) spares us the day Governements instill values to their people again. Governement "knows better" is totalitarism. What they could do is let the people live their life, and humbly help the needy with long term social programs while curbing crime (blue and white collar). That's enough to start with...

[ August 27, 2001: Message edited by: pattaya127 ]

quote from Scum_Baggio:

"If the government tried to instil a few more values in their people (foremost the men) then many problems would disappear on their own."

Some very good comments here, but does anybody know a government or a group of politicians that successfully do this? In the states we have a "family values" president who can't seem to control his own kids (while the former "degenrate" seemed to do a great job with this wink.gif" border="0

I agree about the hypocrisy and sweeping under the rug part of this crackdown. But taking things a second step and instilling higher family morals is going to be a hell freezes over kind of thing.

I've been following the discussions on this board with interest and finally decided to register and get involved. One of the comments to the article in the Nation, both startled and concerned me, since it mentions both this site and the NanaPong guys in a very bad light. The comment was from a Thai lady. Here's the transcript...

"I have never been so proud to be Thai. At last our leadership is doing something to remove the stain upon our country's honor. The farang have made Thailand into the "Brothel of the World" , now they will be going elsewhere to abuse and humiliate women. His Excellency, Khun Thaksin will be a hero to my generation for his efforts. Now that the bars are under control, the next step is the Internet. There are numerous web sites based in Thailand, run by both Thai and farang, which act as pimps for the sex industry. Our organization has been monitoring several of the farang-run sites for just over a year. This is blatant promotion of prostitution and the police officials we have been cooperating with, assure us that those promoting the illegal and immoral sex industry in this country are next to be dealt with. These sites operate under names such as NanaPlaza and NanaPong and the content would disgust any decent Thai. Both these sites are run by farang doing business in Thailand. (Perhaps not for long.) One of the contributors to NanaPong teaches for a Thai university. The operator of the NanaPlaza site is a Dutch man married to a Thai woman and yet promotes prostitution. If we are to protect the good name of our country, it is essential that these type of media not be allowed to further pollute the global image of Thailand. We have names and information on these thugs and hope to take action soon. Khun Thaksin has the gratitude of every citizen who is concerned about the future of our country. I have lived for years in America and I am happy and proud to be living in my home country once again. There is a new day dawning. "

-Prapatsorn Watthanawong

Any comments on this? Is this gal bluffing or is this a hoax?

There was an article on the crackdown in yesterday's Thai Rath. I've been blathering on about this to the wife since the first messages of the crackdown appeared on the various boards. It seems that Thailand's number one newspaper has presented the news fairly clearly because my wife was seething with rage and started saying that it would serve them right if they were on the receiving end of an assassins bullet.

I can't give any kind of accurate translation but apparently there were stories of a bar owned by celebrities that has been losing business due to these crackdowns. The celebrities (and you can't underestimate the support actors and singing stars command in Thailand) wrote a letter suggesting weekend openings to 3 AM and weekdays to 2 AM. When faced with the issue of Thai people in all the areas of entertainment and services losing their livelihoods Purachai said something to the effect that as he didn't profit from their businesses he really didn't care what happened to those people.

Forgive me if this isn't a totally accurate version of the Thai Rath story but I had to glean a certain amount through my wife's cursing.

One of the wealthy Thais I know here in Oxford has decided to delay a trip to Thailand after receiving information about the clampdowns affecting street vendors. He thought he'd wait to see if the whole thing blew over before booking his trip. I re-emphasise. This is a fairly well off Thai person living in the UK. This issue is not just about prostitution any more. It is pissing off people far and wide.

Purachai seems to have an agenda to create a kind of curfew society. Clamping down on people under twenty even at weekends is not just about drug abuse. It's about people living lives which he personally does not approve of.

Forget a few pissed off sex tourists. The heavy handedness of the police in other entertainment areas. The general climate of uncertainty. The message this sends about the interference of Thai government in all kinds of businesses is likely to deter investors in other areas too. Apparently Purachai said something about wanting to replicate the system they have in America. The idea being that America's wealth and success is somehow attributable to their closing times and licensing laws.

I suppose I should really reserve comment until I can verify some of these stories. But if all that I hear is true I doubt even the most voracious farang hater will be applauding Thaksin and Purachai by the next election. It seems that they aim not just to clean up Thailand's reputation but to bury a whole slew of industries that they, personally, don't make a profit from.

I, for one, don't believe they are a new type of clean politicians. Just a new round of ... (i'll stay polite). America is indeed a better country, Purachai got it right: here, Sulak Sivaraksa can express his opinions on the corrupted side of thai politics and buddhism without fear of being thrown in jail or vilipended.

quote:

Originally posted by KhunDawg:

I've been following the discussions on this board with interest and finally decided to register and get involved. One of the comments to the article in the Nation, both startled and concerned me, since it mentions both this site and the NanaPong guys in a very bad light. The comment was from a Thai lady. Here's the transcript...

"I have never been so proud to be Thai. At last our leadership is doing something to remove the stain upon our country's honor......"

-Prapatsorn Watthanawong

Any comments on this? Is this gal bluffing or is this a hoax?

The guys at nanapong have established this was indeed a hoax posted from one of their own.

Archived