Yank shoots Brit dead in Hua Hin

Fidel

I think you are wrong in determining then number as what decides murder vs self-defense...

I believe it is the context or the circumstances and has little to do with one shot in the little pinky or one to the head and two to the heart region. Hey, maybe he was unfamilar with guns and it just prematurely discharge and had lucky shots..

Go CSI....

CB

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>Too true, which is a good reason not to have guns in your house. The fact that the wife owns a rifle makes me believe that they are nut jobs in the first place.

Seems to me you don't know millions of Thai houses have weapons to protect themselves from thieves.

The bedroom is the last place where you can retreat when someone comes into your house unwanted. Therefore it is the place where weapons are kept ready for usage.

In the villages thieves come to steal trivial things such as eggs. Farmers sleep in wooden huts on their rice fields and they will protect their chicken and eggs with whatever they find suitable (knifes and guns) They all have dogs as a first line of defense/alarm.

In the 3 months I moved to my new house we had two visits of thieves we know of (heard them around the house and scared them away) We now have two dogs (still puppets) and they do sleep from time to time also. And we do have non-lethal weapons in our bedroom.

Anyone with formal training knows that "two shots center-of-mass and one in the head" is standard bullet placement.

You avoid resorting to guns, but in the event that you put your hands on one, you had better be prepared to use it. It is not smart to brandish a weapon with the intent to intimidate.

You never shoot to wound, unless you are a police officer. Cops are taught to shoot to wound. Soldiers are taught to shoot to kill. It is far more likely that your "trigger happy yank" was a former soldier. Considering the small caliber of the round, I am impressed that the shooter did not fill the intruder's head with lead. I would have done exactly that, pausing only to reload.

Best advice: stay the fuck out of an American's house, unless you are invited. If you are invited, behave yourself.

Simple.

<< the story goes that they were all pissed and the guy tried to touch the wife so the yank goes gets old faithful and blow the english guy away. ...3 times, 2 in body one in head. >>

No way you can tell me this was justified. A couple of drunks -- one gets out of line, so the other one kills him.

I was raised with firearms, being trusted to carry them from about the time I was 12. I qualified as expert in the Army and sure as hell tried to kill the armed enemies who were firing at me in firefights in Vietnam. But I can't see how this guy was that threatening. A bullet in the leg or a butt stroke to the head would have stopped the situation.

At the very least, this is manslaughter. What do you bet the shot to the head was when the guy was already on the floor?

p.s. All we are going on are bits and pieces of "information". Be interesting to find out what really happened.

<< Cops are taught to shoot to wound. Soldiers are taught to shoot to kill. >>

Then this must be the new kinder and gentler breed of policeman. Plenty of cops have told me they are taught to shoot only as a last resort and then always to shoot to kill. In the Army we were taught that it was better to wound an enemy than to kill him. The logic was it took two of his comrades to get him out of combat and treat to his wounds. Kill an enemy and you reduce your opponents by 1. Wound him and you reduce them by 3. (Damned hard to think of that when you're under fire though.)

Mekong,

sure I know you and can imagine exactly how your friend was, but as I said I discussed based on the info in the OP.

The info is so far from the surviving american and his wife, the police report will probably be different. The high bail combined with letting him keep his passport indicates that thai police wants him to leave Thailand and the problem is solved.

2 men drinking together, fetching the gun from the bedroom (normal place to keep it) and kills the brit. It may be an accident, self-defence or murder. The reason may be money (american couldn't pay back) or woman (TW) or just playing with the gun, but that's hardly possible as the couple constructed the story as self-defence. IMO it was a murder but as already said that's just speculation.

And why haven't we read this story in the newspapers?

This on www.thaivisa.com:

"Martin Connolly was in Hua Hin after just buying a condo on a golf course. Friends at work in Abu Dhabi learned he was killed on 15 May. A short fax from a Thai friend said his death was 'under suspicious circumstances' and that he was 'the innocent party in the incident and regretfully lost his life.'

"If anyone has any more information, that would be appreciated to understand what happened.

mmaggi@ji-net.com"

Taken from the Same thread as the OP

i know the guy who shot the unfortunate english guy. from what i have heard,there was alcohol involved and an arguement ensued over the apparent touching up(assult) of the american guys wife.which consequently led to the shooting.the american guy is now out on bail (500,000 baht) and he apparently has his passport. (know what i would be doing if it was me).

the american guy is a long term resident of hua hin,kept himslf to himself, didnt visit the traps in town at all.

he was however renown for his temper and arguementative ways,although that said, he was a nice guy.

such a shame,and stupid loss of life.

the english guy was working in the middle east apparently for foster wheeler.and had recently purchased a condo in hua hin.i beleive that they was at the american guys home discussing land.

Now this sort of backs up what the email I posted last night was saying.

The Hua Hin Board Thread

Archived