To you Brits...question about claiming back bank charges...

I ve decided to jump on the bandwagon and claim back my bank charges for the last 6 years.

I m now with Nationwide bank and I ve found them to be really good as far as customer servive goes and charges. I dont have to pay to take money out form ant ATM in the world...

However, Halifax is a different story. During my student years,and even recentley I accumulated quite a few charges.

However, I m going to claim them back. So far people have been 100% successful and the banks havent taken anyone to court,because basically they know they wont win.

What has happened is that they either payout or hold out and make things difficult for a while, but in the end they pay back. I know of one person who got back 1200 queen heads and another who got 400 sterling.

The company who are going to do it also claim back interest which may have been lost...

Has any of you Britisg guys on here claimed back yet?

Sure I could make the claim myself, but I think its easier to use a company who take care of it all for you...

Got to be worth a try...

Here is who I m thinking of using...

claimyourcharges

Couple of thing:-

Its really easy to do yourself, but as you stand at zero anything they get you back minus fees is a bonus.

A punter lost at court last week when the judge ruled the charges were reasonable, so not so clear cut as you state

Exactly, I m at zero so nothing to lose. At far as the charges bein reasonable,mine certainly were not. £40 Halifax charged me for a failed debit. I had stopped using the account. However the they didnt tell me until they added 2 more failed debit charges...

The £12 credit card late payment charge is IMHO not too bad, but anything more than is robbery...

coincidentally enough I did the same thing today by sending off the letter to First Direct (who I no longer bank with - so no comeback on their part!)

Will wait and see what happens, I reckon I've paid a good couple of grand in charges in the past 6 years so even £500 pays for my flight to LOS.

Anyhow in regards to the guy who lost in court, this doesnt set a precadent and is not binding on any other potential cases like a high court decision would be

coincidentally enough I did the same thing today by sending off the letter to First Direct (who I no longer bank with - so no comeback on their part!)

Will wait and see what happens, I reckon I've paid a good couple of grand in charges in the past 6 years so even £500 pays for my flight to LOS.

Anyhow in regards to the guy who lost in court, this doesnt set a precadent and is not binding on any other potential cases like a high court decision would be

True it does not set a precedent but eventually the banks will get tougher and start to challenge claimants. So it get it while you can.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I shopped with nationwide pretty much from the beginning (apart from being setup briefly with natwest ripoff preferential banking yuks when I was transferred to UK) & still banking with them even I'm no longer UK resident as they may have the best banking & credit card products in the world :up:

Archived