3 arrested for planning to blow up JFK airport

Bangkoktraveler

Oil companies are greedy sons of bitches. The price of gas in LA varies according to competition and location. As much a 25 cents are more. I've seen such a variance in price that can only be attributed to its location. No other stations around, the price is higher. A station accross the street, R.E. price to lease or own the location lower, gas prices are lower.

And as for disruption in the ME a reason for raising prices. Oil companies do what EVERY commodotity company does. They hedge. They buy futures on the exchanges so they don't become victim to price swings not in their favor. They buy June oil and sell December oil or whatever on the commodoties exchanges with very complex hedging strategies. They don't suffer from price swings, they make money off price swings.

Large farms do it as well against their crop so they don't lose money. They lock in a profit of what their crop is worth now or will be worth under present market conditions.

As for the domestic terrorist threats. Probably a combination of both. Justifying the intrusion into civil liberties and the money spent and indirectly justifying Iraq by extension given the same religion and region the original come from and also legitimate. I have read that there are some things that are never made public that are far more ominous. Possibly as an ongoing monitoring operation. The government is careful about what it makes public. Sometimes things are leaked knowingly or unknowningly but there are varied levels of threats. I also think the populace as a whole is very complacent.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fidel, although you promote yourself as a seriously major dude....

I'm far from it McBiff. Sorry if I have come across to you in this way.

If you look a little further into this particular case, you'll see that the investigators actually point out that there was at no point any threat to the public.

Most of these foiled terrorist attacks seem to involve a government informant of some kind, infiltrating a group of nuts. I don't really see what purpose this kind of thing serves except to keep the threat of terrorism relatively fresh in people's minds.

OH, thanks for vouching for me.

Weird, I've actually been behaving myself lately. Check my posts, you'll see.

I think everybody should be able to give their opinion without others getting upset. Some of the things that have been going on in the USA have made a lot of people scratch their head trying to figure out what is going on. My hunch is GWB has finally realized he fucked up going into Iraq but is doing his maneuvers to minimize damage.

I also think the populace as a whole is very complacent.

I'm not sure it's complacency or just fatigue. People were pretty shocked when 911 happened. After that it was the bombings and beheadings etc. Now it seems half a dozen troops get blown up every day. So what? No nukes yet? Switch channels. Israel could probably get blown off the map and most people would lose interest after a few days.

Archived