This guy is fluent in Thai...and can speak 23 languages. Lives in Thailand.

junglesoup

A gifted chappie, no doubt, and a very interesting set of videos. At least he doesn't really claim that his abilities could apply to everyone - ie, his association since childhood of vowels with colours.

Most interesting thing he says IMO is in, I think, part II where he says he sometimes dreams not in any language, but in "meanings".

Interesting because I don't think that is possible, and that he is simply kidding himself.

Myself, for example, to all intents and purposes unilingual, could claim I sometimes dream in "meanings" but I could be simply full of shit.

Thoughts are in words. Other than feelings of pain and grief and moral superiority etc., all thoughts are in words (which is why political extremists are so concerned with words - see Orwell).

What do you guys think?

A gifted chappie, no doubt, and a very interesting set of videos. At least he doesn't really claim that his abilities could apply to everyone - ie, his association since childhood of vowels with colours.

Most interesting thing he says IMO is in, I think, part II where he says he sometimes dreams not in any language, but in "meanings".

Interesting because I don't think that is possible, and that he is simply kidding himself.

Myself, for example, to all intents and purposes unilingual, could claim I sometimes dream in "meanings" but I could be simply full of shit.

Thoughts are in words. Other than feelings of pain and grief and moral superiority etc., all thoughts are in words (which is why political extremists are so concerned with words - see Orwell).

What do you guys think?

Thats an interesting question. To be honest, I think thoughts are in the form of words and feelings. i think the w are linked.

Also NLP says that some people think in voices, others feelings, others visions.

In language research, they have also found that everyone is different. Thats the reason there are so many different exercises to accomodate differents modes of learning.

I do think you have a thought in the form of a word but also in parallel with that "thought" a particular feeling is generated depending on your likes/dislikes and emotions...

Supposing you knew how to solve a rubik's cube - you'd done it so many times that when you saw certain patterns of colours, your hands instinctively went into motion to solve the cube.

If say in a dream you solve the cube from different stages-

1. Is this thinking in a dream?

2. Am I using language?

Just a thought.

• 2 months later...

Thank's so much for posting this!

The guy is absolutly amazing. If I reallly wanted to nitpick I could point out that there are several mutually intelligble languages in there (Urdu and hindi are considered the same language with different scripts by many) which has to make it easier. I've also heard that there are parts of Africa that have so many languages that it is common for people to know twenty odd languages some of which are as diverse as english and chinese. still that is awesome.

as for what he said about thinking/dreaming in meanings I completely buy into that. words are just tags for concepts and ideas. when you know and can use 20+ different tagging systems and recall them well enough to speak fluently and naturally then surely your mind must be able to understand the meanings behind the tags more clearly.

Have you ever sat trying to write something, knowing exactly what you want to write and the tone to write it in but struggled for the correct wording?

Archived