Freehold land in Cambodia?

arizonadave

Last nights bar talk included Cambodia being a more and more favorable alternative to LOS because

1) foreigners can freehold land

2) longterm visas are much easier to get

3) ladies are generally easier to get along with

4) general attitude that the country wants foreigners visiting, living, investing there

whattya think???

Last nights bar talk included Cambodia being a more and more favorable alternative to LOS because

1) foreigners can freehold land

2) longterm visas are much easier to get

3) ladies are generally easier to get along with

4) general attitude that the country wants foreigners visiting, living, investing there

whattya think???

1. I'd be wary of any "freehold" land. Not so much because it is not available to foreigners, but because Cambo law is one thing today and another tomorrow. And the "judicial system" in Cambo is rife with politics and corruption. So a claimant who can pay the judge more than you would probably prevail in any dispute.

2.I have heard this also.

3. I have found the non P4P ladies quite friendly (but not promisculous). And I've found the small city (ie. Battambang, Sisophone) locals friendly and eager to help and speak English.

4. Certainly haven't heard anything contrary to that...as long as the foreigners have money :D

I can afford to live in Thailand if I choose (quite well), so there is no real incentive for me to consider Cambo with it's obvious drawbacks. But for one who wants to live less comfortably or at a lower cost, Cambo would be (I suppose) a suitable alternative.

HH

Julian2 said, "Are you sure you're talking about women here?"

Good question and point, should have qualified that by stating p4p women since they are the only ones I have been with so far on this se asia experience. And didn't mean to imply that the women here are horrible, they're great! Hearing more and more about Cambodia though, things like it being what Thailand used to be in "the good old days", ie friendlier, cheaper, easier to do business in, to stay long term etc. I am considering buying house and land here in Thailand and someone whose opinion I value says I really need to take a look at Cambodia first. I would like to say also that these days right now are without a doubt the good old days for me. Someday I too will be able to tell the newbies all about how much better it was and you should have been here back in bla bla haha!

• 4 weeks later...

Arizonadave...I have businesses in Bangkok and Phnom Penh and spend a few days a week in each place. I for one really love Cambodia and prefer it over LOS. The P4P scene is definately less developed and not on the scale of LOS so if that is the sole motivator then maybe its not the right place to visit. Like you I think the P4P girls are extremely friendly and the GF experience is the norm.

Local (good) girls are easy to talk to but like Thai girls 10 yrs or more back - very conservative and they take some time to get to know - there is absolutely no jumping straight in the sack. I have a Cambodian GF and love her to death...beats any GF I have had in LOS on every scale.

To correct you, a foreigner cannot own land or even an apartment (yet, changes in the law are being discussed that would bring it in line with Thailand). But you can easily get a one-year visa. 100% foreign owned businesses, no problems. Its much cheaper than LOS. Its more culturally closer to us westerners (because of the strong French influence). The legal system - a worry, just like Thailand - not for the faint hearted! But all in all I think the country has an enourmous amount going for it.

Ah, but you can make a donation to the Cambodian government of just under $40k and they will confer honorary Cambodian citizenship upon you. Thus you are able to own land as a foreigner. Just look at Angelina Jolie, (and why not), she's got hundreds of square km up near Battambang. Course the government made her an honorary Cambodian citizen. Doubt she had to pay for it.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived