FOOTBALL SEASON 07/08

sayjann

had a smile on my face when saw that Bent said Barca had got a bargain in Henry.

i think it's the other way round,Spurs got stiffed into paying way over the odds.

Man Utd may have been stuffed when they paid 30 Mill for Rio but at least he was experienced in the PL,in Europe and Internationally.

and MU only paid 19 Mill for Rooney and i know where my money will be as to who is the more successful in the next 5 Seasons.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His stats are very good, not that necessarily means anything.

"During his time with Dinamo Zagreb, Da Silva scored 73 goals in 104 appearances, won the Croatian League title twice (2006 and 2007) and the Croatian Cup twice (2004 and 2007). He was voted Croatian Player of the Year in 2004 and 2006, and was the Croatian Leagueâ??s top scorer in both 2006 and 2007.

Eduardo has made 12 appearances for the Croatian national team, scoring seven goals, including the first in their 2-0 Euro 2008 Qualifier victory over England in October 2006."

i like Bellamy.

i know he's a prat but i like his style of play.

he's played for a lot of Teams but i don't think he's ever had an extended run in the Team,something which every Player needs.

i think he could have been a big success at Newcastle but he fell out with Shearer and that is a positive no-no,Shearer IS Newcastle these Days.

i see Geremi finally leaves Chelsea........what a surprise.

too many Players and not enough 1st Team oppurtunities.

is Bridge coming back and if so will he depose Cashley?........i don't think so.

Bridge should get away and find regular Football for his sake.

and will Lampard go?.

Nugent to Pompey after LG's Team gave up on him?.

Nugent wants a PL Team but so far no-one big has bid for him,so the main Players cannot be that impressed.

i remember CS claiming that Redknapp had a fortune to spend when Mandaric sold the Club.

i did not agree and so far Harry has not exactly splashed the cash.

7 Mill and counting so far and not exactly the highest profile Players so far.

i see he has acquirred Hermann Hreidarsson...........

doesn't he know the Guys record for getting Teams relegated?.

Torres, is a big gamble at that money.

The way I see it is this.

Arsenal got this guy for 7 million the official estimate is.

Now if he scores 12 goals in his first season, then by my thinking Torres should be scoring 36 goals.

If I had the choice I would do what Mr Wenger has done.

I will go on record now and say that Da Silva is a catch. I watched his vids on youtube. He is a poacher, accurate finisher, high conversion rate and is good at making space when he hasnt the ball...Torres I think will do well, but its alot of money for any player. Even the best players can flop and not live up their potential. Look at Shevchenko at Chelsea. Ballack also.

I think Wenger is learning for himself also.

Lets look at the players who have "flopped" at Arsenal.

Wiltord 14million(49 goals)

Reyes(17million)

Any other players who flopped all cost very little apart from Fanny Jeffers.

Now lets look at the players who have done well.

Vieira-3.5 million

Henry-10million

Anelka-(500,000) scored 23 goals in one season

Fabregas(half a million)

Toure(under a million)

Denilson(under a million)

Ljungberg(3.5 million)

Petit/Overmars (cost combined 8 million sold to Barcelona for combined 25 million)

Lets have faith in Monsieur Wenger. His knowledge of players is the best of anyone in the world.

Arsenal have made a profit in the transfer market in the lost four years of 8.5 million pounds...and now we have a big group of young players who can take us on to the next level...

ARSENAL CONFIDENT WENGER WILL SIGN NEW DEAL

Arsenal's board are confident that Arsene Wenger will sign a new contract with the club - despite their relationship with Stan Kroenke deteriorating to a new low.

The Frenchman's current deal expires at the end of the forthcoming season and he has refused to commit himself to the club in the three months that have passed since David Dein, vice-chairman and a close confidant of the manager, walked out of the Emirates Stadium.

However, according to The Guardian, 'Arsenal's board is so confident that Wenger will extend his contract in the autumn that it has not considered looking for a successor' and 'talks on a two-to-three-year extension have progressed smoothly.'

'It is expected he will put pen to paper between October and December, in keeping with previous extensions when he has chosen to commit with six months to run on his existing agreement,' the newspaper discloses.

The Daily Telegraph carries a similar report, quoting an 'inside source' saying: "But he has got a great squad of young players who he really believes in and where else would he get the freedom he enjoys at Arsenal? The board are not complacent, simply confident he will stay."

Both newspapers also agree that Wenger's transfer kitty has been strengthened by the move to the Emirates Stadium, despite construction of the new stadium causing the club's level of debt to nearly total £350m.

'After the move to the Emirates Stadium Arsenal are better off than they were at Highbury by £20m a year, net of debt service and repayments, and the increased revenues from the new Premiership broadcast deal will be handed to Wenger. That will give him more than £90m to spend on wages and transfers over the next 12 months, up from £75m last year,' says The Guardian.

It is believed that, as a result of leaving Highbury for the Emirates, the Gunners' turnover will increase from £132m in 2006 to around £200m in 2007, and, says The Telegraph, 'much of that increased income will be made available to Wenger for him to spend on his squad.'

The unexpected buoyancy about the club's finances has, though, strengthened the board's resolve that further investment from Kroenke is unnecessary. The American billionaire currently holds a 12.2% stake and is widely expected to launch a takeover bid.

He refused to reveal his intentions at a meeting in New York with managing director Keith Edelman and chairman Peter Hill-Wood last month, when relations between the two parties plunged to 'a new low' after the American refused to commit to a 12-month 'lockdown' agreement which would have prevented him adding to his stake. In response, he was reputedly told "we don't need your money."

Archived