How good are you at free kicks?

teddy

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought a football last summer and it was the first time I really kicked a ball. I went to the park and not to sound immodest got the hang of the art of striking the ball fairly soon and wasn't half bad. I used three things 1) trial and error 2) years of watching football as a fan of the sport and 3) applied similarities to other sports/activities I knew already.

In basketball and american football you look at the target (the basket or the player) when you are shooting or throwing to a receiver. However, football (soccer) is like baseball and golf. You don't look at the target when you strike the ball. You look prior to judge distance and force needed but you look at the ball and not the target. Also, when I was a kid, one of my duties was kick offs and field goals in our football league and I knew you have to look at the ball from that as well and also be almost over the ball when you strike it.

As for the swerve of the ball, its like putting 'english' on the ball in billiards. Its struck off center for the swerve.

At further risk of immodesty, I think I'd have made a fairly decent footballer. No matter what sport I took up, I always did well in as a kid. Winger or full back would probably be my best position probably.

I bought a football last summer and it was the first time I really kicked a ball. I went to the park and not to sound immodest got the hang of the art of striking the ball fairly soon and wasn't half bad. I used three things 1) trial and error 2) years of watching football as a fan of the sport and 3) applied similarities to other sports/activities I knew already.

In basketball and american football you look at the target (the basket or the player) when you are shooting or throwing to a receiver. However, football (soccer) is like baseball and golf. You don't look at the target when you strike the ball. You look prior to judge distance and force needed but you look at the ball and not the target. Also, when I was a kid, one of my duties was kick offs and field goals in our football league and I knew you have to look at the ball from that as well and also be almost over the ball when you strike it.

As for the swerve of the ball, its like putting 'english' on the ball in billiards. Its struck off center for the swerve.

At further risk of immodesty, I think I'd have made a fairly decent footballer. No matter what sport I took up, I always did well in as a kid. Winger or full back would probably be my best position probably.

If the Arse keep missing the chances they create next season,call Mr Wenger and ask him for a chance... :D

Archived