Best bands, music bars in Bangkok?

junglesoup

What bands do you like to watch in bangkok?

I think my favourite bar is the Saxophone. Two reasons:

I love Chai and the Blues Maniacs. I think Chai is a great blues player, reputed to be one of Thailands best. Love this guys style of playing. He is the guy with the goatee, wears converse and little glasses...

The other band I love in here are T-Bone

t-bone website

This is a ska, reggae band with some very talented musicians. When they play in the Saxophone it is packed out. And there are usually lots of nice Thai girls there when they play. I think they have a great energy.

T-Bone are actually playing at Glastonbury music festival in the UK,(this weekend) and have been reviewed in the British Guardian newspaper. One to watch out for...

Any good live bands/venues/guitarists you would recommend in Bangkok?

I like the Beatles Show (the Bea-Thais?) that play in the Irish Pub (O'Reilly's???) on Silom Road near The Pong.

They actually sounds reasonable close to a Beatles-ey type sound too.

And the fact they dress up as Beatles as well is entertaining in iteself!

T-Bone is great. I heard they play somewhere on Khao San Rd. too.

that might be the brick bar, which can be quite good as it attracts a mostly young thai crowd.

there used to be various places around town where indie bands played though shows are now only staged irregularly..."about cafe" near hualampong used to stage excellent experimental electronic music gigs, these too have sadly disappeared...

up until a couple of years ago it looked like the music scene in bkk would blossom, instead is has just withered...as far as culture goes, this town is a near-complete wasteland...

Best band in Bangkok? Easy. For original music, talent and showmanship, hands down it's Futon, although I have not seen them since Momo (the J-girl singer) left the band. All original music. Any band that only does covers is not in the running for any "best band" award in my book. Unfortunately, that's most of the bands in BKK. But there are some surprises out there.

In addition to the others mentioned, Tokyo Joe's is a good farang venue. A more Thai venue is Chaikaphakkai out on Lad Phrao. And on RCA if you like hip-hop/bass-drum type stuff. More venues can be found here

Archived