Who Will be Next President of the USA?

McBif

I am glad Nader cost someone the election. ...

The libertarian party is my favorite. They are for lower taxes, smaller government, and more freedom. Sometimes even radically too much freedom! ...

Neo, while I favor libertarian ideals of good government = almost zero government, I think that the fuckwad Nader has cost this country an incredible amount of money, goodwill and ... FREEDOM.

Imagine for a moment how much different would be...

1. the world

2. the level of freedom in Amerika (Patriot Act, illegal wiretaps and all of the other GWB crap)

...had Nader not siphoned the votes.

I am not sure if his head was in the clouds or up his ass, but his "I'm gonna teach them a lesson" plan indirectly lead to the disaster we see today.

He should have stopped at his 1 real achievement in life, the Corvair story. And I wonder: why wasn't he wearing his god-damn Libertarian-less-government hat then,when he demanded that auto industry be [color:red]more[/color] regulated by government.

Big ego, hypocritical asswipe he is.

Rant over and I have to admit- I've not actually seen any numbers that would show whether the votes that went to Nader would have shifted to Gore and swung the election.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What message is this Presidential pardon which was made with such expediency for a get out of jail free card to a convicted, corrupt, lying cronie who is one of their henchmen? Let this be yet another lesson to Americans who look down at Thailand regarding corruption.

Bush did the same as Clinton did and many presidents before.

It is a "good ol' boys" club.

No rules, no penalty and no fear!!!

NO, he ratcheted it up to a MUCH higher level. Bush used his plenary power to commute a sentence to cover his own bad deeds and keep one of his own aides from having to pay the price for his crimes. He has used his power for this one man when he has been the stingiest president in history for pardons and commutations.

The Libby matter was a national security investigation in the wake of the worst terrorist attack in history. Libby lied repeatedly and blatantly to the FBI and Federal prosecutors when the stakes were very high and the entire Department of Justice was on high alert. Telling the truth about spilling the names of CIA agents could have real consequences. Nothing Clinton did ever was in the same city, let alone ballpark.

There is a conceivable argument (a very poor one, but a conceivable one) for pardoning Scooter Libby, presumably on the argument that the entire prosecution was political and thus illegitimate. But what conceivable argument does the president have for micromanaging the sentence? To decide that the conviction is appropriate, that probation is appropriate, that a substantial fine is appropriate -- just no prison sentence.

This is being treated in the press as splitting the difference, an elegant compromise. But it is the least justifiable approach. The president has decided that the sentencing guidelines and the opinion of judge don't cut it.

The only basis for this decision is that Libby is the vice president's friend, the vice president rules the president and this was the minimum necessary to keep the man silent. And now they can also use the excuse of a "ongoing legal investigation" to further deflect questions while Scooter appeals. Before he gets his full pardon in 2009, of course.

Simply disgusting. It seems to me that dodgy pardons were a part of the articles of impeachment for Tricky Dick Nixon...

Regards,

SD

Archived