Massive plans Makkasan area/new airport link...

junglesoup

The Makkasan area I ve noticed while browsing randomly is going to change alot in the next 5 years.

If you ever go up Bayioke 2 skytower you will see a massive area of land with derelict warehouses. Anyway plans are that the airport train link will be here along with offices and hotels. Nothing has been finalised but the plans are impressive...

It will do wonders for inner Bangkoks urban development...

Makkasan Plan

If you ever go up Bayioke 2 skytower you will see a massive area of land with derelict warehouses.

Not derelict as in abandoned. That's the main rail repair station. They rebuild all the trains for the Kingdom in there. They'd have to rebuild that centre first if they plan on fulfilling this plan. Somehow I'm not seeing that happen...

Cheers,

SD

Thats disappointing. It would really improve the look of the inner city. If I remember rightly, it was on the site 2bangkok that they were building it(the train repair) out of city...but as with these things in Thailand the political wrangling will make it a slow process. If thats where the tourists/businessmen first arrive off the rail link it makes since to have something spectacular there for first impressions...

Cheers.

Still seems like a ridiculous place to put the terminal for the airport rail link to me.

What do you do when you get to Makasaan?

No BTS, no subway... crazy!

And that area is so congested at the best of times.

Would have made far more sense to terminate it at the existing rail station at Hualamphong. At least you have the subway there so people can get to other places in BKK relatively easily.

If cabs stay the same price they are now from the airport, why would anyone bother with the train?

Would have made far more sense to terminate it at the existing rail station at Hualamphong.

Piggy, I am glad you are not a city planner, why have a terminus on the opposite side of the city than the airport.

Makkasan is very much a downtown area, it is the place many of us remember seeing when coming off the tollway from DM. From Sukhumvit, its only up soi 3 and across petchaburi road.

By the time that the airport link to Makkasan is finished I expect the bribes to be in for the bids on expanding the skytrain, by 2020 this city may have an infrastructure ... but silly old fools like me love it as it is with all its quirks.

Archived