Luktung/Morlam venues in Bangkok?

yahuseyyah

Last time I was in Bangkok I enjoyed Tawan Daeng Isaan in Rattanakarn (sp?) Road very much. Very nice music, friendly atmosphere, nice dancing girls :) . But I was there on a Saturday night. Do they have similar shows every night? Because this time I very probably will not be able to stay in Bangkok during the weekend.

Are there any other similar places in Bangkok where I can listen to live luktung/morlam performances?

I also would like to see famous singers like Jintara, Fon Tanasoontorn, Tai Oratai live on stage but I dont have any idea how to find if they perform somewhere in Bangkok or not. I dont speak, read, understand any Thai except tilak :grin:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The BKK English newspapers may be useful in finding out about concerts. Also check out 'BK Magazine', a free weekly publication available in Subway and other locations. If using the skytrain pick up a copy of the BTS Skytrain Map. I believe they are issued monthly, and on one side can be found 'Bangkok Beat' a listing of events and exhibitions. Lots on the internet, one site in particular has been mentioned on the board. Don't have the address in front of me.

Tawan Daeng on Phattanakarn has life music every night. be careful as there are actually two Tawan Daeng just opposite each other. one is for Luk Thung/Morlam, the other for Phua Chivit (Carabao-style).

there is also a newer Tawan Daeng on Ram Intra road.

the venues with Luk Thung/Morlam at lower Suk (soi 19 and 23) are long gone. there are still a couple of venues in Prakanong (higher Sukhumvit numbers)like Isaan Classic on Suk Soi 71. another area with some venues is Kamphaengpet Road in Chatuchak area

> two Tawan Daeng just opposite each other. one is for Luk Thung/Morlam, the other for Phua Chivit (Carabao-style).<

Which is LukThung/Morlam? Tawan Daeng Issan?

New Petchabury Rd becomes Phatanakhan when it crosses the Klong Tan intersection with Suk. 71 and Rhamkhamheng. Going that direction about 300 meters, the non-morlam club will be on your left, the Morlam venue will be on the other side of the divided road; a log cabin style building with small white lights. Stop the taxi there and cross (CAREFULLY) on foot. The nearest U-turn for the taxi to reverse direction is way the hell down, thru several long lights: sometimes an extra fifteen minutes/30 baht.

The place comes to life around ten but if you get there by nine you'll get a better table, especially late in the week. The food isn't particularly good although the steamed fish isn't bad. They serve a nice fruit plate for nibbling.

SAMAK;

Where is the place you mention on Suk 71?? I live there and all I see are about ten Karaoke bars per block, never noticed a Morlam club in the hood.

• 2 weeks later...

I have read somewhere that there is an Isaan cafe next to Poseidon pub around Tonburi. After googling I concluded that this cafe is in or near a place called Thonburi Plaza. May be I am completely wrong , I don't know. But since the page I have found was in Thai I could not get any clue about the exact location of this plaza. Could somebody please provide me info about the exact location of this place. The url is : http://www.thonburiplaza.com/index.php?lay=show&ac=article&Id=108617

Archived