Benjarong ceramics

Is anyone out there any kind of expert on this stuff? I am wondering how to tell the good form the bad. I mean, you see pieces at small shops for sale for a few hundred baht, and also see similarly sized and (to me) appearing pieces for sale at 1000s of baht.

What's the difference?

How can you tell?

Cheers,

SD - looking for something new to collect

The real collectables are antique benjarong ceramics, which were decorated in Thailand and fired in China, then returned to Thailand. Benjarong should have 5 colours - benja same same penta - usually black, red, white, yellow and one other.

Modern benjarong sometimes copies the old styles, but often is clearly modern, as is the example you show.

The value of modern pieces depends on size, shape, skill in painting etc. (Plus where you buy it!)

In response to SuaDum - Benjarong ceramics

Hi Tiger,

"What's the difference"?

Do you mean what the difference between a few hundred baht and a few thousand baht....man we need to go for a few more drinks.

"How can you tell"?

The one's marked "Made in China" on the bottom side are no good!!!

Seriously...

We have a couple at home; one is a Kao Larm Tad Honey/Orange Colour which is probably of medium

size, around 13cm across .... not sure on the price I think it was "up to you" or from the Thai side of the family (wife on the phone).

The other one is smaller and White with Gold would think (cheap...Charlie) but who knows....there are a lot of Buddha (religious votive tablets) inside. Have seen many.... many copies (all over Thailand and in Australia) from Chatuchak to Chiang Rai and supposedly the real ones in the Palace.. Mansion, etc.

Found this info.......

Benjarong Ware

This heavily decorated form of ceramic is an art form that was once reserved for the royal family alone. It is uncertain when Benjarong production began in Thailand, but by the reign of Rama II of the present dynasty in the early 19th century, Thai artisans were producing Benjarong ware in Ayuthaya which displayed symbols associated with the Royal House.

The production of Benjarong ware is an incredible labor-intensive process. Decorated with five colors, each different color must be applied to the vessel and successively fired in the kiln five times before the decoration of the piece is complete. The paints used to decorate Benjarong ware are usually made of natural materials, and the colors brighten on the decorated vessels during firing. Benjarong ware is frequently gilded as well to heighten the decoration.

Traditional Benjarong items were designed as items to grace the royal dining table in the form of food containers or tea sets. Decoration might include scenes or symbols associated with the Buddhist religion, the Garuda, the Kinaree, or the royal emblem made up of stylized letters derived from letters the personal names of royalty. Especially characteristic of Benjarong wares is a covered teacup in the Chinese style. A characteristic shape of Benjarong ware is a covered tea cup in the Chinese style. Modern designs include flower vases and other decorative items. Commemorative items are also created as souvenir pieces for special occasions, such as the 16th annual Southeast Asian Games that occurred in Chiang Mai.

We recommend Prempracha Collection.

Mai Tai on the weekend with Dumsuda?? :surprised:

Thanks for the tips. Mai Tai? Of course. You coming?

We killed off a few brain cells last night in DS kitchen, thanks to some "Nok Yai" as he calls it, or à¹?à¸Âà¹?à¸?วà¸?สัà¸?วà¹?à¸?à¹?า (gai nguang sat bpaa) :drunk: :drunk: !

Cheers,

SD

I think a lot of the cheaper stuff are seconds or rejects. Not sure though, have seen some stuff that was clearly imperfect and other stuff in the same place that looked 100%. Really like the stuff but the two smaller ones prevent displaying a lot at home or even looking too much n shops, like Dog said, scary times shopping in such places.

Cheers,

M

When I was a PC vol, I worked only about 58 miles from Sukhothai. One could still buy genuine Sangalok pottery from the 14th-15th centuries for a few hundred baht! The farmers dug it up at old kilns that had collapsed during firing and been left untouched. Now it goes for 5 figures. Problem was back then a got paid about 60 baht a day.

Same prices for antique benjarong too. I have/had some small benjarong items uncovered in a dig at a former palace. My wife "stored" them safely at her sister's house. God knows what has become of them now. :(

Archived