Warning to everyone, HIV test came back positive...

junglesoup

Did you verify what your doctor said to you is accurate especially for the number you reported for a non-infected healthy person? Or were you stating a number for an infected person?

Here is a quote from my professional healthcare association (CHEM) in the USA. The source is ECRI - healthcare management system volume 3 exposure to pathogens 5.2 bloodborne pathogens page 4 1998...

"The number of CD4+ T-Cells is one indicator of HIV disease progression. A healthy, noninfected person has an average of 1,000 T-Cells per cubic MM of blood. In HIV people, the number falls by an average of 40 to 80/mm3 every year. HIV can be broken into three stages:

1. The T-Cell count is greater than 500...

2. When the T-Cell count falls between 400 and 200, an individual is in the intermediary stage.

3. A count below 200/mm3 marks advanced-stage disease or AIDS.

HIV replicates during all stages."

Lets hope your T-Cell count can hover around that 800/mm3 mark for a long time....

CB

I was under the impression, from what I ve read, that CD4 count in a healthy person is between 600-1200 range.

But I m sure he said 450 is the average. However maybe that is for an HIV+ person. Unless I ve heard him wrong, or he has told me wrong...I must quesry it. Not that it matters too much. My cd percentage was 49% which is a good number also and gives a better picture than just the single cd4 count.

However it is early days, and I ll need to get an average over a period of time to get a real idea of what is going on...however, I m happy that the cd4 is high to start with. Rather than it starting at 350, 500 etc then starting to decline from that point would have been a little bit worrying...if the viral load is also quite low, I ll be happy, although the doctors dont seem too worried about that viral load at this point...

Thanks again for the words of support...

I think Birozens previous post was most useful...seems a few might need to read some of the topics therein...a very useful site indeed.

"The best online guide I ever saw was the Johns Hopkins one, part of it is question and answer, the Doc is very helpful, give it a read and the best of luck for the future,

http://qa.hopkins-aids.org/forum/recentquestions .h... "

Hi guys,

hadnt been posting much this week. I ve had really devastating news.

Dont even know if I should post it,but I thought if it warns even one person about the dangers out there. But more importantly to prevent someone having to go through what I ve been through this last 2 weeks.

My blood test showed the HIV antibody. I m so sad and lost. But I m also focused and thinking postive and looking forward. Yes its been a shit. My biggest fear confirmed.

A couple of accidents where no use of condom due to bein out of my head and not known what I was doin...I thought about the odds, and thought I would be ok...but I ve been unlucky.

My confirmation test comes back tomorrow. I know it will be positive. I know because after the exposure about 2 weeks later, I came down with the worst flu and sore throat, thrush, mouth ulcers for 17 days...I knew in my heart back then, but hadnt the courage to get tested, until now. 17months after. I havent consciously slept with anyone since...but my girlfriend will have to get tested...its all such a mess. I m in the UK shes in Thailand. Its just one problem after the other.

I m not so worried about the disease, I m lucky to come from a well enough off back ground...people are much more unlucky than me...with this virus.

But be careful out there. Subtype E is the strain that is 95% in Thailand and heterosexually passed. A Harvard uni study showed that this strain can get into your system through langherphan cells on your skin. It doesnt need to get directly into the blood. So be very careful. It only takes one or two slips and that could be that...

I would like to post still, but not feeling up to it at the minute. I have lots of support. I wont let this beat me easily. I m mentally strong and feel ok. I m just going to take real good care of myself with my diet. Theres also lots of hope out there about advances in using the body to fight this virus for everyone...if only Bush would step down and let the scientists get on with it...

so ve be careful once again. A few minutes of pleasure isnt worth this. Find yourself a nice girl and be happy with her...I m going to regret not doing that for ever,

cheers,

Chris.

I am deeply sorry to hear about your condition. You are very brave to share your presonal story among us here.

May I ask you something? During that 17 months you didn't have sex with your girlfriend at all, if I read your post right? If so, a big of applause !!!!( You said, "I knew in my heart back then, but hadnt the courage to get tested, until now. 17months after. I havent consciously slept with anyone since...but my girlfriend will have to get tested...its all such a mess.")

The sad thing after having read many pages of this thread is that NO ONE asked about your girfriend's test result. But maybe I'm female my first question is , "How is the girlfriend?".

I hope she is negative. If you don't mind sharing it with us.

As you might all realise tbat HIV/AIDS is spreading among women (females by their anatomy are infected easiler than men.)and housewives in Thailand in an alarming rate. That's why I am very worried about her. If she is infected, what whould she do? Will you take care of her too? (as you said you are quite well-off and can afford a good heath care.) If she was infected and you took care of her, you are a true gentleman. :thumbup:

I remember that about 15 years ago a Canadian medical doctor in Canada who was infected with HIV made a documentary film shown on TV about his last few months of his life. I didn't get to see it just heard someone talked about it. It would be great if someone in this condition would create a 'Blog' to share their thought and new perspective on things. But what you have done for us on this board are greatly appreciated already.

Good luck to you JS. My thoughts are with you and your girlfriend.

GTG

PS. To wait for 17 months to get the test was an awful time for you I think. But at least it has been tested.

Oh, I hope Khun Sanuk won't delete my post.

Edited by Guest

Josh,

I'm sure you have heard about a conspiracy theory about HIV is not a cause of AIDS at all. But it is believed or made to believe for political reasons among health professionals just to get the reserch fund flowing in, etc.

I would love to read about it. Can you point me to the right direction ie. any source on the internet?

What is your view on this matter?

Maybe I should start a new thread.

GTG

Josh,

I'm sure you have heard about a conspiracy theory about HIV is not a cause of AIDS at all. But it is believed or made to believe for political reasons among health professionals just to get the reserch fund flowing in, etc.

I would love to read about it. Can you point me to the right direction ie. any source on the internet?

What is your view on this matter?

Maybe I should start a new thread.

GTG

Goodness me!!! you and my wife should get together, I'm sure you'd enjoy the gossip and scandal mongering, clearly you share a genetic strain which baffles me.

JP

Hi GTG,

thanks for your reply. She is in China at the moment. She will be back next week. I will tell her then. She doesnt know about my status yet...I m more worried about her than myself...but of course if she does test positive, I will get her the best treatment and give her all my support. We havent really been together for the last 18 months...but she is isnt with anyone else. That I m pretty sure about. Our relationship was under alot of strain before this happened anyway...but I m not going to leave her high and dry. She didnt get sick after me with any ARS,so this gives her some hope. I will let you know the outcome in due course.

P.S- My doc said I cant completely rule out the possibility that I ve contracted it from her...but I very very much doubt that.

Edited by Guest

• jigger unpinned this topic