Who makes this stuff up?

Really. How on Earth can these two Thai letters equal "E"?????? More examples to be found in any taxi.

Instead of making it easer to remember number plates for non-native speakers, it just makes it harder (for me anyway).

Grrrr.

Cheers,

SD

Hi Tiger

Was sort of car was it?.... a limo?

The normal thai plates are white (black writing) from memory! - BBK area.

Consulate plates (Blue)... I think.

Better to remember the driver's i.d. tag inside - yeah...that's if he has one...or it's his cousins - hehehe.

Just a regular ol' taxi. They use yellow w/black plates. A few months back, the "Taxi Ministry" made a rule that says taxis need to put a small replica of their number plate on the rear doors for customers. They have also started requiring putting the driver's name and mobile phone number of the receipts for meter taxis from the airport. Nice ideas, and could be a help if someone has a problem. I never have, but the thought is good, as is noting the guy's license (but remembering a few numbers is much easier than a Thai name LOL).

Anyway, it is just a silly pet peeve of mine the way they obviously randomly choose the English letter to "match" the Thai letter. And only one letter when clearly there should be two. Unless they're only 26 letter combinations available to taxis, but that would mean only ~260k taxis in Thailand and I am sure that is not the case.

BTW, number plates:

white w/black = normal private car

white w/black, except 2 small numbers under a ภ(I think, doing from memory) on the left and four large on the right = diplomatic staff

lt blue w/white (same number format as above) = embassy vehices, but not diplo status

yellow w/black = commercial vehicles

lt green w/white = limos

red w/black = temporary plates (new car)

burgandy w/white = police

That's all I can think of..

Cheers,

SD

Hi,

"but that would mean only ~260k taxis in Thailand and I am sure that is not the case."

Might not be that farfetched as there aren't that many taxis outside of BKK.

"except 2 small numbers under a ก (I think, doing from memory)"

It's �

Sanuk!

Archived