Mississippi Bridge collapse

Torneyboy

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have seen vibration crack motor mounts, engine exhaust stacks, machinery foundations...I would take the "myth busters" with a large grain of salt.

Civil engineers go to great lengths to isolate any equipment that is causing vibrations in buildings.

My cousin has made big $$$ doing vibration analysis consultations and studies.

All the ships I have worked on had a certain speed range barred (not allowed) because of vibration characteristics of the propellers/shaft/engines/hull design, etc.

Guest lazyphil

i think it deserves reporting, it was a terrible tragerdy and looked very dramatic. a few folk died yes, and a big deal to those who lost them.

Then you should just ignore this thread. :twocents:

[color:green]I have seen vibration crack motor mounts, engine exhaust stacks, machinery foundations...I would take the "myth busters" with a large grain of salt.[/color]

Cracking due to metal fatigue is DIFFERENT to failure due to resonance. The bridge did not collapse from resonance since there was no build up swaying or wave amplitude.

Guest lazyphil

dafur, for example, needs to make more headlines no doubt at all on that, but this still warrants the coverage. i know its strange. a ski lift disaster in austria can make bigger headlines than a earthquake in remote china wiping out 10k people on the same day.

Archived