Thailand most dangerous for Brits

Bkkbound04

UK Times is reporting:

'It is better known for its ancient temples, beautiful beaches and mouth-watering cuisine, but Thailand is also the deadliest destination for British holidaymakers.'

Times Newspaper

In the hard copy of the paper is gave a detailed breakdown of reasons the UK Embassy respondss to UK nationals request for assistance, the number of reported deaths in Thailand were significantly worse than any other country with no real explanation. Is this just a british phenomenom?

JP

but if they are in Spain or Greece do they call the UK Embassy ?

Probably not , they can find someone who speaks english and figure out what the problem is ,

Not as easy in Thailand , even just filling out a form in Thai would be impossible,

OC

PS.....plus Brits like to practice flying out hotel windows nmore than others :(

the post is a little misleading.

there were catogories and while Thailand was in most top sixes it wasn't the top in many.

the more people visiting a destination will obviously lead to higher figures.

greece is top for rapes and the US is top for arrests.

Spain will obviously be tops for most things due to the Millions who visit.

i don't consider 'About 24 out of 10,000 Britons' proves that Thailand is more dangerous.

death comes in many forms and i would wager that a VERY HIGH percentage are of natural causes.

they don't actually say how many people died in the period.

so if 4 died of natural causes then that proves that Thailand is more dangerous then OZ if only 2 people died of natural causes?.

who would want to visit OZ anyway?..........

in the last paragraph it mentions ordinary things that people forget,Medical insurance and document problems.

that does not make any Country more dangerous than another.

a little preparation goes a long way.

SEA is always gonna be a little more dodgy because it is the 3rd World.

Health standards are not as good as elsewhere and people can die of disease which they pick up.

but i imagine that it is easier to pick up a stomach complaint with the hygiene in Thailand then in the US for example?.

just be careful and things will be fine.

"The 381,000 who travelled from Britain to the SouthEast Asian kingdom were nearly five times more likely to die than those visiting the second deadliest - India. They were also 50 per cent more likely to be taken to hospital in Thailand than in second-placed Greece. About 24 out of 10,000 Britons needed serious assistance from a consulate in Thailand, double the rate of those visiting Australia."

Shitty statistics.

Hmmm, in that period I travelled three times, so are the stats true ?

I think the comment about spain and people speaking english is a valid one, so maybe there are more unreported problems, plus if you get arrested in Thailand I bet the authorities come down harder than in somewhere like spain

hmm, in my experience in Bangkok bars as an observer of countless drunken bloody fights, Thailand is indeed a dangerous place for Brits...though the primary danger to them is from the fists (and feet, and beer bottles, and head butts) of fellow Brits, more than from any Thais...!!

don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to cast aspersions on a specific group of people...after all, in the US, we tend to shoot each other dead in our drunken altercations...at least the group described above will [probably] live to drink another day, haha...

preahko

The Australian Government issues these kind of reports, via a webpage

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/Thailand

We advise you to exercise a high degree of caution because of the high threat of terrorist attack in Thailand. We continue to receive reports that terrorists may be planning attacks against a range of targets, including tourist areas and other places frequented by foreigners.

It is quiet detailed and gives advise on all types of topics; including

Terrorism, Safety and Security, Local Laws

Entry and Exit (visa) Requirements, Health Issues

However, if you read all of the information available...you probably....wouldn't even leave home!!! - Thank god we all know different.

Archived