CHAMPIONS LEAGUE 07/08

sayjann

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolute bollocks, the first 4 trophies were won in a time when only the Champions of each country entered the tournament and it was on a complete knock-out basis. The group stages now are designed to give the big teams the best chance to reach the QF's at least.

i'm a Fan of the old European Cup format.

i know the idea was to allow a lot of the smaller Countries to have one of their Teams in the Competition,but i do disagree that the top Countries can have so many entrants.

was it only 16 Teams in the old format?.

i still say it was easier to win in those Days....

the English were strong and during the European ban the other Countries caught up and then overtook us.

it's taken a while for us to get on par again.

these Days it's harder because you face far stronger Teams from Spain and Italy for example.

20 Years ago you beat Barcalona and you had knocked out one of the best and could look forward to a smaller Team to play.

but know you beat Barcalona you could then draw Real Madrid and then Milan.......not so easy.

if UEFA want to make it more exciting and good on the eye then they should scrap 2 things.

the seeding and the rule about Teams not playing one another in the Group Stages.

let's just have the format as in the FAC for instance.

just draw the Teams out into their respective groups.

so if MU,RM,Milan and Lyon are drawn in a Group then so be it.

or if all 4 Spanish or English Teams drawn together then it's more exciting imo.

it would make it more of a task to win the damn thing.

these Days you look at the Teams playing and you can normally imagine which Teams will reach the last 8.

• 2 weeks later...

what is he on about?.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/6946439.stm

'"Sadly, I've been unable to persuade Fifa, Uefa, and the Premier League "Sadly, I've been unable to persuade Fifa, Uefa, and the Premier League to allow me to use 12 players in every game.

sorry Rafa but it's 11 against 11,at the beginning at least.

part of his comment said...'to allow me to use 12 Players in every Game'......

so in his words 'allow ME' means he wants 12 against 11 every Game?.......

silly thing to say,why is he so special?....... :wanker:

• 3 weeks later...

Benfica made it to the groupstages of the CL.

WELL DONE! :beer:

Only big surprise was Ajax not being able to put Prague aside. It put a smile on my face :D

For both my teams (PSV and Benfica) I hope to avoid the English and Spanish teams. We don't seem to perform too well against them. Bring on the French and Italians! :)

Archived