Brad, Angelina to get own Aussie stamp

Ongchaiyai

....Take all the criminals and send them out to the best country in the world - as a punishment??? :) ....

I know that many Aussies proclaim that Oz is the best country in the world. I also know quite a few who prefer not to live there. Whoever is right, I think, in the days when the Brits were shipping their criminals there, it was probably a bit of a shit hole. :)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The beginning of Oz Rules football???

Nah... that was when we decided that soccer was a yawn-fest and wanted to play a game where people could actually touch each other, be men, not roll around on the ground faking injuries and actually see some points being scored for our money!

:neener:

Whoever is right, I think, in the days when the Brits were shipping their criminals there, it was probably a bit of a shit hole.

Very true.

(Brisbane still is! :D )

But even the change in climate alone would have been hard to deal with. No infrastructure, no buildings, no roads, no farms, no food...

Bloody hard.

And they were treated like dogs by their jailers too.

It's an interesting read to learn about that time in our history.

"The Fatal Shore" by Robert Hughes is a great book on the subject. Probably not interesting to non-Oz's or someone who hasn't been here yet.

Sounds interesting. I'll have to look for it. The convicts and their guards had no choice. What amazes me is the folks who emigrated to Oz in the 19th century, when it was so much quicker to go to the US or Canada. The voyage to Oz sometimes took as much as two months and more!

Ironically, the Brit govmt had begun shipping convicts to the American colonies - which is stated as one of the reasons in the Declaration of Independence. Hadn't been for the American Revolution, you Oz folks would probably be Yanks or Canucks!

:yikes:

Archived