Hi All

...and, should anybody say, "It's Scots not Scotch. Scotch is a drink", then politely tell them that they are in fact wrong.

I stand or sit corrected . . . maybe . . . :hmmm:

"Who are the Scotch-Irish, and what does the term mean?"

"The term "Scotch-Irish" is an Americanism, generally unknown in Scotland and Ireland, and rarely used by British historians. In American usage, it refers to people of Scottish descent who, having lived for a time in the north of Ireland, migrated in considerable numbers to the American colonies in the eighteenth century." The Scotch-Irish, A Social History, pg. i - James G. Leyburn.

The "plantation" of Ulster, in northern Ireland, with Scottish immigrants, took place from roughly 1606 through 1700. The "Great Migration" of Scotch-Irish to America took place from 1717 through 1776. An estimated 200-250,000 Scotch-Irish migrated to America during this period. The period of the "Great Migration" of Scotch-Irish took place at approximately the same time as the German Palatine migration.

It is believed that, at the time of the Revolution, they comprised 10-15% of the population of the United States. Their negative feelings toward England played no small part in the emotion of the "stew" that led to the American Revolution.

Although there is evidence of the use of this term, or others, (Ulster Irish, Northern Irish, Irish Presbyterians) to differentiate the Scotch/Irish immigrants from other citizens of America, it is believed to have generally fallen into non-use by the 1840's, wherever it had been used. The use of the term "Irish" in the United States up to that time usually meant Scotch-Irish, as the Catholic Irish simply had not been a major immigrating force until that time."

:rolleyes:

But, of course, if you are buying I will have a Scotts and soda with ice !

It's the Orange buggers ... only they emigrated before there was an Orange Order. So many of them settled in the hill country and kept celebrating the Battle of the Boyne each year by parading their "Billies" (sort of like a Guy) that the term hillbilly is supposed to have come from that.

p.s. Got plenty of 'em in my ancestry.

Archived