Switching to Apple - finally

kamui

Ok, it's about time to leave the MS/PC world behind me (in our office that is).

I am working with PCs since two decades and I think that a have accumulated a decent knowledge about the basics of working with PCs:

- installing and securing new systems from MSDos to Vista

- setting up small networks

- developing a backup strategy for our office

- programming (simple) databases for the office

- being the "hotline" for our office and several friends in case of any computer related problems (hard- and software)

e.g.

I work in the culture field which is dominated by Apple products, but I always defended the Windows environment, since it gave me much more choice in hard- and especially in software.

This is not the case anymore. :thumbdown:

Contra PCs

In my experience the problems with Windows PCs cumulated in the recent years. I just have to spend too many hours patching the machines, running maintenance software, solving network or spyware/trojan problems, securing the PCs with _usable_ firewalls and scanners, trying to find out which part of the OS or other device/software caused a blue screen of death e.g.

:banghead:

Pro Macs

- Now you can run WindowsXP or Vista on Macs parallel to the Mac OS Leopard (using Parallels), which means if I really need some Windows software, I can use it _within_ the Mac environment. The funny thing is that Walt Mossberg just wrote that Vista is running faster on an iMac than on an comparable PC. :shocked:

- All reviews say that the Mac OS is still much easier to navigate than Vista

- All reviews say that the Mac OS has better features than Vista (did you ever try new search function in Vista? I could not even find simple Word documents by using the keyword search) and the upcoming Leopard OS will be again a bigger step ahead of Vista

- There are virtually no Trojans or Virus for Macs. This spring it took me a whole weekend to get rid of some malware which infected on of our PCs.

- Also Macs seem to be much more secure by design. Just read this story about securing your PC for the hacker conference defcon :D

- The user management at WindowsXP and even at Vista is a nightmare. I started to read some articles about it, but if you really want to have it running perfectly youâ??ll need to do some serious tweaking, especially with Windows XP.

- I am not absolutely sure about it, but it seems that Mac PCs communicate easily in networks.

- Less time for patching and maintenance. Mac PCs do not becomer slower and slower over the months/years, like Windows PCs especially if you upgrade your software frequently on Windows PCs. For example no need to defrag the harddisk frequently our clean the registy...

- Finally the design. As I said we work in the culture field and we have very sophisticated clients. Lately my boss complained that our IBM notebooks are butt ugly and that it is a little embarrassing to use ugly tools in our profession and that Mac producs have a much better design. And in fact the latest iMac is really beautiful.

IMHO there is only one valid argument against Apple products: the limited hardware choice, but since Apple is offering products which fit into work profile it's no problem for us.

So the next computer will be an iMac, and in the near future I will exchange our IBM notebooks with Mac Powerbooks...

:cool: :thumbup:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once upon a time all computer virus were found in the macintosh environment as all hackers used apples. Now the hackers use linux and all virus are for pc.

I agree the new apple computers are excellent, but too expensive as I just need a pc for around 20,000 baht...

OK, if I win a lot money I promise to buy a mac. :thumbup:

Mac enthusiasts are just sheep. Why would anyone be so enthusiastic about a massive multinational selling overpriced proprietary computer products? Talk about slaves to consumerism...

I wouldn't call them overpriced. If you were to pick up a PC and buy the software to do what the Mac OS does you would soon find out which one is expensive. Add to that burners, drivers, video cards etc. :dunno:

The great thing about the PC is the choice available in terms of hardware and software - instead of just what Il Duce Steve Jobs presents to you. Building your own PC is a lot cheaper than buying a mac of similar specs and then you have a wide choice of open source or proprietary software (not to mention the fact that all the latter can be found for free on good torrent sites). Even buying a Dell is going to get you better specs than a mac.

Macs are for those totally clueless about computers in the same way that Big Macs are for those totally clueless about food.

The great thing about the PC is the choice available in terms of hardware and software - instead of just what Il Duce Steve Jobs presents to you. Building your own PC is a lot cheaper than buying a mac of similar specs and then you have a wide choice of open source or proprietary software (not to mention the fact that all the latter can be found for free on good torrent sites). Even buying a Dell is going to get you better specs than a mac.

I disagee.

- First there is more and more opensource and freeware available for Macs

- Second even for Macs you can use Torrent sites. :smirk:

- Third, even for Macs you can buy if you want third party parts, which are cheaper (like RAM)

- Forth, for private use I agree about the hardware thing. I have a custom build PC at home and no paid software on the PC (including Vista Ultimate). :cool: But in an office enviroment it is not about paying 200 â?¬ more or less for a PC. One crash, Trojan, e.g. can cost you much much more. In our office it is about usability and reliability (and in our case design as well). For what I know the new Macs are superior in all three departments.

Mac enthusiasts are just sheep. Why would anyone be so enthusiastic about a massive multinational selling overpriced proprietary computer products? Talk about slaves to consumerism...[...]

Macs are for those totally clueless about computers in the same way that Big Macs are for those totally clueless about food.

As I wrote, I think I have decent knowlegde of all matters concerning PC's and based on my knowledge and especially on my experience with MS operated PC's I came to the conclusion that when I switch to Mac I can spend more time working productivly _with_ a PC than I am currently spending working _on_ a PC.

:)

Concerning the better specs of a Windows PC:

If you install Boot Camp on a well-equipped Mac model, it can become a blazing fast Vista computer. A few days ago I bought a top-of-the-line model of Appleâ??s new iMac line, and installed Boot Camp and Vista. I then tested the machine using Vistaâ??s built-in Windows Experience Index, a rating system that goes from 1 to 5.9, with scores above 3.0 generally required for full, quick performance. My iMac scored a 5.0, the best score of any consumer Vista machine I have tested. Obviously, a tricked-out high end Dell or HP box might do as well or better, and a lesser Mac might do worse. But the score was very impressive for a computer that wasnâ??t designed with Vista in mind.

Running Windows on a Mac

:neener:

Archived