Switching to Apple - finally

kamui

It is changing. Apple was the US' third biggest retail laptop vendor in June, market watcher NPD has revealed. The Mac maker is behind only HP and Toshiba, but ahead of Dell, Gateway and Lenovo.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/08/29/us_laptop_sales_june/

And because you are right about the limited choice. The requirements and uses of computers are far more complex than Apple could ever offer. Therefore especially the desktop Mac's will always stay a niche product. Also as it was already stated: Mac's are not cheap, even if they are worth their price. Most students, workers, and of cause almost all people in emerging markets (like China, LOS, New Orleans :shocked:) will not be able to afford a Mac.

Even I will not buy a MAC for my private use for the time being, since I bought a new PC last autumn and I will buy a new LCD monitor this autumn. A switch would be too costly for me at the moment.

[color:purple]Disclaimer: My knowledge about Mac's is still second hand. We should talk again in year...[/color]

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Used to use PCs...then i sat and wrote my uni. dissertation on a mac at my mothers farm...3 days of solid slog....that experience changed me, in many ways...i still have the grey hairs...however i was so impressed with the mac. That was a few years ago.

Wonderlust, you love to make these comments. What do you think market share has to do with it? Apple products are simply superior, but slightly more expensive. Money is often the main factor in choosing. BMWs are better than Toyotas, but not a lot of people will spend the extra to get one. Despite knowing full well the BMW is a lot nicer in all regards. Sure, parts and servicing for the Toyota are cheaper and more widely available, but would you really rather have a Toyota over a BMW?

Furthermore, i've used macs for a decade now, never missed a PC...and now if i really want to use PC apps i can! I can use bootcamp or parallels...easy as...Bootcamp is free too! Torrents work and are available.

I never restart my macs, except after an OS upgrade, never crashes, never hangs, no virus problems, everything works, always has, i can run what i want...i really have no idea why anyone would want to use a PC...Microshit is an awful monopolistic behemoth of a company. I've use PCs at work, i really don't enjoy the experience. They are useful to get a job done, macs are a pleasure to use.

Even EA have restarted releasing new titles for the mac now...

You can't compare macs and PCs to BMWs and Toyotas. The highest end computers are PCs. How many corporate servers run on macs?

Bearing in mind that my PC never crashes, never hangs, never has virus problems and I can run what I want, what exactly would the benefits be to me of changing to a mac?

Quite a lot of servers particularly in creative studios...Apple have a rackmount server product (a friend on mine in London works at an advertising company, they are solidly Apple, servers/desktops etc)...previously a Uni. server farm was solidly Apple and in the top ten most powerful in the world. No longer i think. Apple use all the latest Intel hardware. Mac pro top model uses 8 3ghz Intel chips.

An obvious benefit is OSX is far superior to Vista...Microsoft have copied Apples OS since Windows 95...they continue to do so, but always a few steps behind. WL it's upto you. I guess you are comfortable with what you know, i changed, i never looked back.

You can't compare macs and PCs to BMWs and Toyotas. The highest end computers are PCs. How many corporate servers run on macs?

Aye, but how many mission critical servers run windows?

Recommending Server 2003 to my biggest clients would get me fired pretty damn quickly

Unix, please

Bearing in mind that my PC never crashes, never hangs, never has virus problems and I can run what I want, what exactly would the benefits be to me of changing to a mac?

Wow, that's the first time I hear such a positive comment about a MS PC. Did you ever you switch your PC on? :cover:

From my experience:

- Malware on our main office Pc (used by the a family member of the boss when the office was closed) and on my private PC when I used some filesharing tools.

- blue screen of death is known (but did not happen that often anymore)

- every Windows PC is running extremely slow after 2-3 years latest and usually needs a thorough clean up and some maintenance work or even Windows needs to be reinstalled completely

- no crash actually, but every PC needs to be restarted once a month minimum at MS's patch day, but usually more often, since sometimes updates for other software requires a restart too (especially patches for anti-virus/firewall).

The only advantage of MS PC's I see is, as you said, the bigger choice and some limitations of Mac PC's, gamers for example would never by a Mac PC.

Archived