Switching to Apple - finally

kamui

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Living in SE asia, with many people using pirated software, some not using condoms (e.g. virus protection software) and lots of file exchanges with other computers, PC's in our office are always battling virus, worm, slowdown etc. Consumes a huge amount of time.

I privately switched to Mac 3 1/2 years ago. In the time I had my Mac, crashed about five times, simple restart fixed it. No virus, no slowdown. No blue screens of death. I had a few mechanical problems such as DVD drive failure, but put that down to me using the powerbook in very dusty and humid conditions at times.

My Mac needs replacement, and I'm seriously looking at the iMac. I will continue to use my Powerbook for travel, and put a new iMac on my desk, as soon as the new OS is out.

then replace the old notebook in a couple years time for a smaller Macbook again.

I initially objected to the idea of replacing my screen every three years when buying a new computer, but now think that's a minor issue, would do that anyway with a notebook.

Nah - try Ubuntu or Fedora, I took a server to some locals that had never used Linux, said "We can;t" so I booted up the server, and they are looking around the computer, after 5 minutes I said "Your using Linux" they didn;t even know,

Fedora looks and smells like windows.

Dont be scared, take the plunge

Walt Mossberg one of the US tech gurus does not think that Ubuntu is that easy to install and to use. I am switching to Mac with the hope to spend less time setting up computers, doing maintenance and solving problems (besides the other advantages of easy use and superior design).

PS: What I hate about Apple is their zeal to create closed environments for their most popular tools.

- First it was their proprietary music file format ACC combined with DRM**,

- than it was the simlock on the iPhone (which is already hacked :thumbup:)

- and now the latest generation of the iPod's have a new level of encryption which prevents ipods being used without itunes.

The consequences: Linux users are banned from using the new iPod's, as well as all users who prefer alternative software to sync their iPods, for example for to copy the songs from the iPod on a different computer than the original PC used for syncing.

Hopefully hackers will be able to find a solution soon.

:stirthepo

**It seems that Apple would like to get rid of DRM today, first of all this is a problem of the music industry.

They did go through a phase of licensing out the OS about ten years ago but it was far too late and they soon stopped, but for a while Macs were made by other manufacturers. I wonder where windows would be today without the competition of Macs to catch up with, they even copied various parts of OS X into vista. Having worked with both for 16 years I would still go with a Mac esp here as they are still pretty virus free and their i life software is better than anything I have used on a PC.

Archived