Adventurer Steve Fossett's plane missing

OCgringo

Does not look good, its been 24 hours , and the Nevada desert is over 100 degrees right now , hope he is found OK, but not likely

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070904/ap_on_re_us/steve_fossett

MINDEN, Nev. - Millionaire adventurer Steve Fossett, who has cheated death time and again in his successful pursuit of aviation records, was missing Tuesday after taking off in a single-engine plane the day before to scout locations for a land-speed record, officials said.

Teams searched a broad swath of rugged terrain in western Nevada near the ranch where he took off, but searchers had little to go on because he apparently didn't file a flight plan, a Federal Aviation Administration spokesman said.

"They are working on some leads, but they don't know where he is right now," FAA spokesman Ian Gregor said.

Fossett, the first person to circle the world solo in a balloon, was seeking places for an upcoming attempt to break the land speed record in a car, said Sir Richard Branson, the U.K. billionaire who has helped finance many of Fossett's adventures.

The 63-year-old took off alone at 8:45 a.m. Monday from an airstrip at hotel magnate Barron Hilton's Flying M Ranch, about 70 miles southeast of Reno. A friend reported him missing when he didn't return, authorities said.

Thirteen aircraft were searching for Fossett in addition to ground crews, said Maj. Cynthia S. Ryan of the Civil Air Patrol. The teams were doing "grid" searches over hundreds of square miles.

"We are committing maximum resources to this effort," she said. "As far as we know now, it is still a rescue mission."

more at the link....

OC

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah it was a small private airport,

no flight plan ,

there is a lot of nothing out there , and I doubt many safe places to make an emergancy landing,

if he survived the landing then I am sure he would be in a much better mental state than most ,

He did the round the world balloon flight etc

cross your fingers for him

OC

there is a lot of nothing out there , and I doubt many safe places to make an emergancy landing,

In landing a small single engine plane in an emergency, it is much easier to put it down where there is a lot of nothing then in the water or built up area. Any abandonned road, even unpaved, will usually work.

there is a lot of nothing out there ' date=' and I doubt many safe places to make an emergancy landing,

[/quote']

In landing a small single engine plane in an emergency, it is much easier to put it down where there is a lot of nothing then in the water or built up area. Any abandonned road, even unpaved, will usually work.

Wow, glad you told me that, I would have just headed for the nearest densely populated area or the ocean, would never have thought of heading for a paved road :thumbup:

Archived