english breakfast Sukhumvit

kevkev1888

looking for a good breakfast in Sukhumvit area

had one at the winking frog next to beer garden not bad if a bit pricey,170bht sausage bacon egg beans but 70bht for cup of tea to go with it realy pissed me off.

so where is the best breakfast?

needs to be all day as no chance of me getting there before lunchtime!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kev, kev, kevkevkevkevkev...

Excellent question (which usually means the answer won't be half as excellent.)

Get thee along to Chequers in Soi 4. It's within spitting distance of the DieNasty, same side, across from that Houlihanrahogihan's Oirish Bar joint. It has a neon sign saying 'British Pub' which is kind of a catch-all to include Jocks, Taffs and Scousers; they do serve Guinness. And hub-caps.

Now, I reckon that their Full Monty at 190 baht is pretty good. It is usually damn fine. Damn fine indeed.

1. The butter comes in a little pot. Look, it sounds like a minor thing - and it is - but I for one am fucking sick of blocks of foil wrapped frozen butter. What the fuck is all that about, eh?

2. Proper HP sauce and proper Heinz Tomato Ketchup. English mustard (accept nothing less) on request.

3. Beans are good - beans are good - eleven beans are good. (Shamen).

4. Proper Tea. ("All proper tea is theft.")

4. The service is quick, polite and damned attractive.

5. The sausages are good. None of this frankfurter shite that some places try to foist on customers.

6. You get a slice of fried bread in addition to your toast. Fried Bread - the most politically incorrect food EVER. Last time I was in Chequers (last week) there was a small demonstration forming around this one item. ("Out, out, out!") So I baton charged the bastards and let my fried egg drip all over it in the breakfast equivalent of a cum-shot.

7. You can read a free Daily Mail there (!). No, really,I love having a read over a leisurely breakfast. Don't count on it though; best to bring your own. I was waiting for one guy to finish that day's newspaper; desperately eager to read some good old right-wing ranting (as one does). This guy was one of those complete TWATS that reads a paper from the back (the 'sport') to the front (difficult stuff that only the grown ups understand.)

7. They are a decent crowd in there. Mostly ex-pats but they are very friendly. You see the same faces year in -year out.

8. The TV isn't on ALL THE TIME! They have good music.

9. The table at the front is good for watching the street.

10. There is seating upstairs so don't worry of you think you won't get a seat.

Well, it might not be the best in Bangkok but it's my favourite.

Enjoy.

SD - yep, I reckon most if not all the English stylee pubs should do a good job of a breakfast. Trouble is, I'm a creature of routine and let's say, just supposing, that I had a hangover from hell having been on the piss the night before in Soi 33 and then somewhere else I can't remember...falling into the familiar the morning/afternoon after is sheer luxury.

:)

I hear the Huntsmen's in the basement of the Landmark has a really good Sunday "English Roasty" type brunch! Never tried it...or not recently anyway, last I recall it was 350bht or something...a friend (from Nottingham) swears by it.

Now, what is a "proper" English Breakfast?

OH - it's shorthand for what is a Scottish breakfast, an Ulster Fry, and so on - there are some regional variations but:

Bacon, Eggs (Fried, Sausage, Beans, Mushrooms, Tomatoes (grilled/tinned don'matter).

That's kinda basic so what the afficienado really wants to see in addition is:

Black Pudding (OH - you'd like it but not if I told you it was coagulated pigs blood; the Fro...French call it 'boudin noir' and the best is made in the Bury/Blackburn/Burnley Black Pudding Triangle of Lancashire,. england)

White Pudding: A fave of the Irish this is. Not really like Black Pudding, but then it is...a bit.

Something with a potato theme - but please, not chips. At breakfast?

Hash Browns - an interloper from you lot but I think a very welcome one.

Bubble 'n' squeak. Fried up potatoes and old cabbage. Makes you fart like a trooper.

I like the Scots folks 'square sausage' which isn't really square, not really a suasage.

Hope this helps.

PS: Like life - it's not good for you.

Archived