The Virgin Trade

Moo_Uan

Just finished watching this "documentary" about the thai prostitution scene.

(Sorry if it has been covered in another thread - I couldn't find any).

I'm not sure what to think about it. Anybody else seen it?

In the programme there are interviews with bar girls, punters, UN aid workers, Ex-pat wifes, go go managers (Jason from Dollhouse) etc etc.

Most of it is the same old story. The UN Aid worker says, that the punters are scum of the earth. Expat wife saying that the girls don't love thier costumers but only want their money (surprise!)

But some of what is said was news for me. It is said that children are trafficked from Cambodia but rarely for prostitution: Instead they work as beggars. (Well maybe I did know that).

Also it is argued that the various statistics that the Aid-organisations are grossly inflated in order to get funding. Knew that of course, but it gave the programme some credit in my pov.

IMDB link

Link to torrent

Filmmaker Stuart Kershaw embarks on a journey through Thailand's red light districts to investigate the world's largest sex industry. This exploration of international sex tourism turns expectation on its head, in an expedition that is as brutal in its honesty as it is unexpected in its conclusions. But who are the victims? Are parents selling their children into brothels to finance lavish Western lifestyles? Or do orphans fill the demand - smuggled into sex-work after disasters like the Tsunami? Stuart bulldozes a host of Thailand's urban myths whilst viciously affirming widespread exploitation and deceit.

Yes. I have a copy of this. Dont think it aired anyway. The film never really had a point but there were some great cameos in it.

Cd have done with a good editor or someone to find its reson d'etre

That's a good call. I just downloaded it and found it to be just same-same as anything else on the subject. Plenty of naive statements like "I have never seen a Thai man in a go-go bar" (well mate, there's a whole street of 'em just for Thais; not real hard to find if you look). And the typical marriage-age female hypocrites: "Disgusting. So many old/ugly/fat/ men with young pretty girls." Hmmm, so the "non-beautiful" do not deserve to be happy as well? I'd bet she be the first one to bitch about men being shallow and only interested in looks. Pot, kettle darling!

Also, no one ever mentions that there are plenty of jobs available in factories, or other businesses. But the gals do not want to do them because those jobs are a) not sanuk, B) not enough money (even tho' 100s of 1000s of Thais manage on it) and c) too mutt work. Not that I look down on hookers, I do not. But reality and conscious choices made do need to enter into these films. But that doesn't sell, does it?

Cheers,

SD

"...Also, no one ever mentions that there are plenty of jobs available in factories, or other businesses. But the gals do not want to do them because those jobs are a) not sanuk, B) not enough money (even tho' 100s of 1000s of Thais manage on it) and c) too mutt work. Not that I look down on hookers, I do not. But reality and conscious choices made do need to enter into these films. But that doesn't sell, does it?

Cheers,

SD..."

You and I and a few others have screamed this before, but get shouted down by "the new experts."

I would love to see/make an accurate documentry on the whole night life scene, but 1) it would fuck it all up, a 2) it just wouldn't sell...lies, fiction and "distortion" sell better it seems, hence so many experts on the subject who have never been to LOS, and those who still get it wrong...

Archived