Monks On The Move

bust

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently the nuns are in on it now, as well - I've always had a thing for Buddhist nuns (especially the Tibetans, such as those who became known as the Singing Nuns for making a tape while political prisoners in Drapchi prison), which just rachets my interest in this up to 11... It's still hard to imagine the generals making any real concessions in response to these protests, but let's see what happens -- when it does end, and a new wave of people flee into Thailand, I wonder who they will approach for protection, now that the UNHCR in Thailand has stopped accepting new Burmese and the government has still not implemented a system to accept new refugee cases. Anyway, that's a question for future days. For now, it's just exciting to see collective expressions of discontent in Burma.

YimSiam

I think the Generals already have cause for alarm. The fact that international media is sitting up and paying attention this time takes the situation into unchartered waters. I think a swift response by the junta will not fair well in the eyes of the world. As long as the protest remains peaceful I think the military will find it hard to deal with the protests in a violent manner. Then again we are talking about Burma.

It's still getting bigger:

20,000 march in Myanmar protest

YANGON, Myanmar (AP) -- About 20,000 people led by Buddhist monks demonstrated against Myanmar's military junta Sunday, in what has quickly become the largest anti-government demonstrations since the failed democratic uprising in 1988.

The 10,000 monks marched from Yangon's famous Shwedagon Pagoda to the nearby Sule Pagoda before passing the U.S. Embassy, witnesses said. Monks shouted support for detained democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi, while the crowd of 10,000 protected them by forming a human chain along the route.

more at CNN

I think the Generals already have cause for alarm. The fact that international media is sitting up and paying attention this time takes the situation into unchartered waters. I think a swift response by the junta will not fair well in the eyes of the world. As long as the protest remains peaceful I think the military will find it hard to deal with the protests in a violent manner. Then again we are talking about Burma.

Yep....one hand grenade in the crowd would do it.

Yep....one hand grenade in the crowd would do it.

Right, no need to become euphoric, especially not for us bystanders, who don't risk their health and lifes. The military has a 50 years experience of dictatorship, suppression, torture, spying the own people, genocide, e.g. I don't think that they are too troubled to kill (thousands) of their own people, if they need to for to keep the power.

:(

Archived