Cost of building house in Isaan?

t-ride

Hi guys,

I need a bit of help from you guys who have experience in building house in Isaan.

The in-laws, who live in a village near Loei, have plans to (re)build their house and I'd like to have a rough idea of how much it would cost.

Their current house is very basic, a basement made of concrete and the rest is made of wood. I guess the idea is to pull it down and rebuild a new one on the same land.

So here are my questions concerning the cost of those different tasks:

- Dismantle the current house (they can sell the wood it was made from apparently)

- Pull down what is made of concrete and get rid of it

- level up the ground a bit

- Build a new basic house with at least 2 bedrooms, bathroom, kitchen

Furthermore, some links to websites of some recommended professional builders in Thailand would be appreciated.

Thanks.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No mater what you are "Quoted"....allow a budget of Bt1.5 mill....absolute minimum

3 mill will get you something decent and liveable. Have almost completed a project with Falang bathrooms (up & down) 4 bedrooms, falang kitchen etc etc..

Reckon it will finish somewhere around 3 - 3.5

Cheers DC

Hi, dismantling a house and leveling up the ground is not a significant cost, its labour intesnsive but labour costs are minimal.I had 1 rai of land raised by a metre and cost 4000 baht.

Now the cost of a new house... :rolleyes: ? I was recently offered a typical thai village house for 50000 baht which I was then paying local guys 10000 to take down and put back together in another part of the village. I have no idea if thats a good deal or not. It just seemed very reasonable to me.

Your costs will depend on what standard and style you are building too.

I've been looking for a builder for a while and its been surprisingly difficult to find one thats reliable and willing to do the job I want. You could try just looking out for any current building work going on around the province and just chat to the guy in charge,you can see the quality of the work in progress & they will talk a lot,they'll be keen to agree the work but I've found the best quality builders are busy on the european villas being commisisoned all over the place and have no time for smaller scale works.

JP

No mater what you are "Quoted"....allow a budget of Bt1.5 mill....absolute minimum

3 mill will get you something decent and liveable. Have almost completed a project with Falang bathrooms (up & down) 4 bedrooms, falang kitchen etc etc..

Reckon it will finish somewhere around 3 - 3.5

Cheers DC

Dumsoda,

1.5 million is already way out of budget; the parents will pay it themselves although I'll probably help them a bit but I dont think in the end they'll have more than 500 000 bahts to spend for that.

At 100m in the same village a house was built last year and the cost was 230 000 bahts that's why I was thinking that with 500k they should be fine.

Hi, dismantling a house and leveling up the ground is not a significant cost, its labour intesnsive but labour costs are minimal.I had 1 rai of land raised by a metre and cost 4000 baht.

Now the cost of a new house... :rolleyes: ? I was recently offered a typical thai village house for 50000 baht which I was then paying local guys 10000 to take down and put back together in another part of the village. I have no idea if thats a good deal or not. It just seemed very reasonable to me.

Your costs will depend on what standard and style you are building too.

I've been looking for a builder for a while and its been surprisingly difficult to find one thats reliable and willing to do the job I want. You could try just looking out for any current building work going on around the province and just chat to the guy in charge,you can see the quality of the work in progress & they will talk a lot,they'll be keen to agree the work but I've found the best quality builders are busy on the european villas being commisisoned all over the place and have no time for smaller scale works.

JP

JP,

Thanks for the figures; good to see that the labor is so cheap.

Looking around in the province for ongoing building is a good idea but to be honest I have no clue about building quality and so on so it will be difficult for me to identify good quality work or not. That's a good start anyway.

Do they expect you to come with a plan from an architect or is this included in the price?

I've both read about..and had friends tell me they have built houses in Issan. Prices ranged from 1/2-million to mega millions of Baht; the former a nice concrete 1-bdrm western bath house, the latter being a rediculous & ostentacious mansion.

I suggest doing an intensive search on the net; there are a number of sites that provide examples of prices, houses of wood & concrete, things to watch for (substituting inferior materials) etc.

Try searching Teak Door: http://teakdoor.com

there are many other sites to investigate.

This site has pix of the construction, but unfortunately no commentary:

http://www.mgnewman.com/Travel/show.php?mode=index&show=Homeland

happy searching...

As some suggest already, whenever I hear of a Thai building a house up country (not a farang), it has been in the 100K-400K baht range. In the upper end of that range they often have already factored in 100K for furnishings.

Here is the house I built, total cost about 450 000 - the wood is reused, don't sell it, use it.

I then added the below concrete area, including a bath tub, hot running water and a flushing toilet.

That cost about 100K

You can build a stunning mansion for well under 2 million, a figure of 3.5 million, frankly, not right.

Concrete is a lot cheaper than wood, which is why you see so many new concrete houses.

CTO

You can build a stunning mansion for well under 2 million, a figure of 3.5 million, frankly, not right.

CTO

So, you're saying I'm full of shit.....What fucking ever!!!

I suggested allowing a budget of 1.5mill. My "Project" will finish at an estimated 3 mill+

This will include Aircon for all 4 bedrooms plus living areas..... double glazing....and furnishings....

Falang bathroom upstairs and downstairs, falang kitchen and appliances...hot and cold running everything.....etc...etc...

So far have spent around 1.3 - 1.5

The photo was taken during early stages.

I have not even been there since building commenced....and given the way things are travelling right now....may never get to see it....lol... but I do know what it's costing!!

Cheers DC

Archived