Cost of building house in Isaan?

t-ride

No - not saying YOUR full of shit :) rather your builder must be :)

Aircon units cost for a large room, not sure if you've been to my office, about 35 000 Baht, smaller rooms, i.e. bedrooms, 20 000 Baht.

By look of area, your's is similar size to mine, (nudge nudge wink wink) err house that is. Mine is about 6 metres wide, 15 - 20 metres deep.

Fittings I have no idea, we use the kitchen next door, though we have running water.

A electrical pump (Underground) 15 000 Baht, NO upstairs toilet, so I expect you'd need stronger foundations/structure for that.

So that leaves furniture, from some of the stuff I have seen Thai's want to buy, you cold easily spend millions on stuff that a Melbourne Greek would cringe at.

Again NOT saying, never did, in fact took great care NOT to say your a twit for paying those figures :)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks CTO,

I'm still laughing.....some "Wanker" :grinyes::grinyes::dunno::neener::neener::dunno::grinyes::grinyes: just sent me an sms suggesting I was a "Tad" sensitive....lol....

Wow, for a "Journeyman" you sure know a lot about Thailand....it's almost like you're a re-incarnation or sometinng.... :grinyes::grinyes:

As for who has the bigger one....No Idea....never seen mine.....or it either....ever since my gut started to grow about 20 years ago!!!!...lol...

I guess, to show my appreciation, I should buy you a drink or 3 next month when I'm in town.... now seeing you're a newbie around here I should start slowly.....maybe we could meet for a couple of beers and a bite at Sam 2000 in Soi Cowboy ....then maybe check out some.......Tits & Arse....as us Ozzies so delicately put it!!!!

...Errrrr....if I can get a "Leave Pass"...that is!!!!.....LOL

C ya soon

Cheers DC

I've both read about..and had friends tell me they have built houses in Issan. Prices ranged from 1/2-million to mega millions of Baht; the former a nice concrete 1-bdrm western bath house, the latter being a rediculous & ostentacious mansion.

I suggest doing an intensive search on the net; there are a number of sites that provide examples of prices, houses of wood & concrete, things to watch for (substituting inferior materials) etc.

Try searching Teak Door: http://teakdoor.com

there are many other sites to investigate.

This site has pix of the construction, but unfortunately no commentary:

http://www.mgnewman.com/Travel/show.php?mode=index&show=Homeland

happy searching...

Thanks rookie; the teakdoor forum may indeed be more appropriate to find the kind of information I'm looking for :-)

Here is the house I built, total cost about 450 000 - the wood is reused, don't sell it, use it.

I then added the below concrete area, including a bath tub, hot running water and a flushing toilet.

That cost about 100K

You can build a stunning mansion for well under 2 million, a figure of 3.5 million, frankly, not right.

Concrete is a lot cheaper than wood, which is why you see so many new concrete houses.

CTO

Hi CTO; good to see that it is possible to get a more than decent house for less than 500 000.

The house you built is more or less the kind of house the in laws would like to build I think.

Hi guys,

I need a bit of help from you guys who have experience in building house in Isaan.

The in-laws, who live in a village near Loei, have plans to (re)build their house and I'd like to have a rough idea of how much it would cost.

Their current house is very basic, a basement made of concrete and the rest is made of wood. I guess the idea is to pull it down and rebuild a new one on the same land.

So here are my questions concerning the cost of those different tasks:

- Dismantle the current house (they can sell the wood it was made from apparently)

- Pull down what is made of concrete and get rid of it

- level up the ground a bit

- Build a new basic house with at least 2 bedrooms, bathroom, kitchen

Furthermore, some links to websites of some recommended professional builders in Thailand would be appreciated.

Thanks.

- if you don't have to pay for the area 1 Mio + Bath for a good house.

- if you need a "Farang House" 2,0 Mio +

- if you want a small thai country house with 2-3 rooms house, 300'000 +

if you want a style as i call "Baan Gai", 100'000 +

doesn't matter which kind you like, it will cost more as you think first, for shure

very important, do not buy the cheapest material for the building.

Note: Buy all material by yourself, then let the workers do their job and do not give them the money to buy the material for you.

:tophat:

Hi guys' date='

I need a bit of help from you guys who have experience in building house in Isaan.

The in-laws, who live in a village near Loei, have plans to (re)build their house and I'd like to have a rough idea of how much it would cost.

Their current house is very basic, a basement made of concrete and the rest is made of wood. I guess the idea is to pull it down and rebuild a new one on the same land.

- Dismantle the current house (they can sell the wood it was made from apparently)

Furthermore, some links to websites of some recommended professional builders in Thailand would be appreciated.

Thanks.[/quote']

doesn't matter which kind you like, it will cost more as you think first, for shure

Note: Buy all material by yourself, then let the workers do their job and do not give them the money to buy the material for you.

As I said this is not for me (I'm myself starting to look for a piece of land in the Udon Thani but that's a different story) so what they are looking for is a typical thai house with 2 or 3 bedrooms (no aircon). They own the land already so with 300k it should be fine.

Any recommendations on where to buy the material?

All through Udon Thani are building supply shops.

While I understand the "Buy yourself" attitude, the fact is, doing so is time consuming and requires a degree of knowledge of the building process.

In the end I just gave the job to the wife, I have a job, her's for a while was construction manager.

Hi guys' date='

Thanks.[/quote']

As I said this is not for me (I'm myself starting to look for a piece of land in the Udon Thani but that's a different story) so what they are looking for is a typical thai house with 2 or 3 bedrooms (no aircon). They own the land already so with 300k it should be fine.

Any recommendations on where to buy the material?

yes 300'000 are fine for that, check the prices in the shops around your area

Archived