Hotels - Phnom Pehn

unit731

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So those who recently visited this fine capital city, where did you stay? And what did you think of accomodatons? Price? Locaton?

I've stayed at three different hotels in PP.

First time, at the Bayon. Small botique hotel, across from where the French Embassy was located and has slightly "upscale" prices; "Continental" menu offering small selection in small restaurant. A bit out of the way from the main attractions. Recall about $50 night, but that was about 5 years ago. Don't know about guest friendly. Had former Ms Hoy with me.

Second time: Big Luck hotel, on main drag...Monivong Blvd. Center of city and equidistant to most places of interest. Monger-friendly. Across from good-sized Big A store on the order of Foodland in BKK. Never ate in the hotel restaurant. Get a room in the newer wing. Big rooms with remote AC/TV and fridge. Has a rooftop pool that's pretty good size. About $25/night. Will pick up at airport. Good motodops associated with hotel.

Third Time: Juliana Hotel. Caters to the biz traveler. Nice rooms and pool area. Been about 4 years. Recall about $65-$70/night. Not a bad location. City center. Don't know about guest friendly, as had former Ms Hoy with me.

Other times, back to Big Luck.

Walkabout mentioned above: 24 hour magnet for freelancers of mostly hags/druggies. Frequently referred to as the Skankabout. I guess okay to hang out in and play pool. A rare "gem" might be discovered if you live a long life :) Capital Guest House--about a block from Big Luck on side street. Backpacker Central...or those on a very tight budget. Flamingo...have recently read a report that some staff may have questionable ethics (read: "light fingers").

Hope this helps. You can PM me if you need any particular specifics.

BTW, I think Hong Kong Hotel has an internet site.

HH

phnom penh hotel on monivong near the lake is excellent, and reasonable when booked through a travel agent - well under $50 (a year ago).

hong kong hotel (now renamed??) further south on monivong is more central, cheaper ($20-25??) and very good value as well.

if you like your holidays enhanced by class a or class b substances, go for the $2-5 guesthouses at the lake (around the corner from the phnom penh hotel).

at the other end of the scale, le royal is definitely the finest place to stay, though your rent-a-srei may not feel too comfortable there. happy hours at their elephant bar are a superb deal - not to be missed.

hotels along the river tend to be overpriced; those 1-2 blocks back are a much better deal. the blocks just north of the museum are home to a few perfectly acceptable $8-15 hotels/guesthouses.

remember...especially at this time of year it's a buyers market, so be sure to raise your eyebrows at the first price quoted by the receptionist...

I've always stayed at the Cambodiana. Bit pricy at about $100 per night with breakfast. Always been allocated a room with 2 double beds, even as a single person, and occasionally upgraded to a junior suite. Situated close to Sisowath Quay, so about 10 minutes away from Sharkys bar and/or Martini for evening entertainment and Sakura hotel for massage. Never any problem taking back guests - just initial a chitty - no charge. Nice to see the look of amazement on the girl's face, when they see the room facilities, compared to some of the doss-houses to which they are usually taken. Never any attempt to change LT to ST, once they have had the pleasure of sampling the bed. I don't normally stay in such luxury - I've been a regular at the Nana hotel in Bangkok since 1989 - but it is nice to have a bit of comfort sometimes.

Archived